View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Fair_Maiden
Master Fan

Sorry that I didn't post it yesteday like I said that I would. Anywho, here it is:
Quote:
DELTA DEALS

Delta Goodrem had it all: stardom on the popular Australian soap Neighbours and a number one debut album in Innocent Eyes. Life was a dream come true for the 19-year-old pop star. And then she was diagnosed with cancer.

by Twila Falk

What's HERS: When did you start getting signs that you might be sick?
Delta Goodrem:
I started to have night sweats and I lost a lot of weight – I’m a really good eater, so I couldn't really understand why I was losing so much weight. And I was basically really lethargic. More than anything, there was a tiredness and an unwell feeling. Then I found that I had a lump on my neck. The lump was very small at the start, but then it started to get bigger and bigger.

W/H: How did you find out that it was more than a lump?
DG:
I had biopsies on the swollen tumor. Then they did blood tests. I was in the studio with my dearest of dear friends, Vince, who I wrote Innocent Eyes with. I was sitting there and my mom and my brother walked in and I could see on their faces that something was wrong and they said, 'We have to go back to the hospital. They think that you could have Hodgkin's Lymphoma,' which is a form of cancer. That's when my whole world changed.

W/H: Career-wise, what was going on in your life when this happened?
DG:
I had the number one album and number one single that week (in Australia) and I had the number two album in the UK. Beyonce came in at number one and I came in at number two. I was working crazy hard.

W/H: Did you feel that you should be invisible to something like this because your career was going so well?
DG:
Not at all. I believe everything happens for a reason and there are a lot of people out there who go through this all the time. If you can be chosen for success then you can be chosen for illness. It just goes to show that anything is possible.

W/H: How did your fans deal with it?
DG:
I cannot begin to tell you how supportive my fans were. My house is still full of mail. The support was unbelievably humbling and overwhelming. It was an outpouring that I never expected.

W/H: Did other people in the entertainment biz provide support?
DG:
Elton John called me every second week and he was so lovely and wonderful. And then there were lots of people in the industry, everybody I'd come across contacted me.

W/H: Is it possible to stay the same person after something like this?
DG:
No, I don't think so. I think that if you do then you haven't learned anything from it.

W/H: Have you started singing again?
DG:
I'm back to singing as much as I can without overdoing it. It's exciting to be back in the studio. It's taken a while, but I'm getting there.
There is also a picture, which is one of the older ones because she has the long blonde hair in it. It's from What magazine, btw.