View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 11:22 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic
I loved the first sixteen episodes and have a so-so relationship with the rest.

The three driving creative forces behind the first 16 left the show due to diffrences with the showrunner Jason Katims.

The three were

David Nutter (who wrote the show's bible and took it with him when he left)

Thania St. John

Emily Whitsell

When those 3 left Roswell started to decline and never recovered.
No it didn't. It actually got better later season 1 and better yet in season 2.
Quote:
Originally posted by deeprising
boringggggggggggggggggggggg show
There's plenty boring shows out there, but Roswell sure ain't one of them.
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexEvans
My strongest feelings, both love and hate, go to Roswell. It went through many metamorphoses - both for individual characters, and for the show as a whole.

The first season remains among the very best television I've ever seen (I'd rank it with S3 Buffy, S5 Angel, S1 West Wing, etc.).
S5 Angel was, for the most part, some of the worst tv I've ever seen. And considering I've seen some Stargate, that's really saying something. West Wing is a quite watchable show, but it's vastly overrated. It's not half so unique as people seem to think, too much conventional tv in many ways. Plus it depends on pretending it's realistic when actually it's nothing of the sort -whitewashed, sentimental, prettied up, contrived, etc. (And that's true of season 1, not just any other season.) Roswell, however, was most definitely some of the best tv ever, and I don't mean just the first season.
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexEvans:
It was about several things. Trying to fit in. Fighting for a normal life. And it was about three very different variations on a common theme; three relationships between humans and aliens.

Maybe Roswell could work without the first of those. Maybe it could work once the dream of normal lives was ended for good by the revelations of the S1 finale, "Destiny." But I don't think it worked very well without the second, the three human-alien relationships that developed from the beginning, each different from one another, each an essential aspect of what it is to be human, what it is to be alien, what it means to bring those things together. And certainly without both themes it could not work.
Just as well it never lost any of those themes then, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Subject:
Also Rebel Alliance wasn't regarding Max/Tess a couple I believe. I wasn't there when the name was picked. However, I believe it was because the shippers of the couple Max/Tess were Rebeling against the majority of Roswell fans who happened to be Dreamers Max/Liz.
But "Rebel Alliance" suggests the Star Wars rebellion and they were good guys, while shipping Max/Tess is eeeeevil.
Quote:
Originally posted by Subject:
Also, I think Immortal Lover for Buffy/Angel is a way to say that their love will never die. I know your stance on the B/A relationship and on Angel himself. Let's not get into that. That would open up a whole new can of worms.
You want to deny me the oppurtunity to bash B/A and Angel? Well, just as long as you know I think Angel is disgusting and "Buffy&Angel4eva" sounds to me like a horrible curse on poor Buffy.

Last edited by sum1; 09-28-2004 at 11:31 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote