View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 04:29 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Michael: Brendan made him both the most human and the most alien of the aliens. Real impressive job.

The "destiny" thing: It wasn't really destiny. "Destiny" implies something set by fate or some sort of higher power. But the pod squad's so-called "destiny" was just what was planned for them by the people who gentically engineered them. And they were made from the combined material of the original royal 4 plus 4 humans. The original humans had their own existences, with no alien "destiny". The original royal 4 were Antarian royalty, but there's nothing to show they had any special "destiny" set in stone. They just had certain positions and had certain things happen to them. Combining those human and alien elements doesn't create people with some special destiny, it's just that the people who engineered the pod squad had plans to use them for something specific and for them to do certain things. But there's nothing to say that's the pod squad's true destiny. The genetic materials they were made of had an existence separate from what their engineers had planned for them, so the pod squad had an existence separate from their engineers' plans. Their true destiny was their own, not that chosen for them by their engineers. The planned destiny (the war, Max/Tess, etc) might have been their true destiny, but equally it might not have been. We'll never know what their true destiny was. All we know is that the plans of the Antarians who engineered the pod squad by no means necessarily constitute a definite destiny.

The term "Rebel Alliance" as applied to Max/Tess: I'm often a tad puzzled by the names people use for ships. For example, Buffy/Angel is called "Immortal Lovers". But Buffy isn't immortal and that's one of the reasons Angel broke up with her and said they couldn't be together. And Spike is just as immortal as Angel is. Just one of many examples of puzzling ship names. In the case of Max/Tess being called "the Rebel Alliance", well, to me Liz/Max seems more the real rebel alliance, a rebellion against the plans that had been made for the royal 4, a union between a hybrid half-alien and a full human. True rebellion. Heck, it was even started by Max rebelling against the rigid secrecy and isolation he, Michael and Isabel had adhered to for a decade. Liz/Max was a rebellion from the very outset and from its foundations up. Max/Tess was a union planned by the pod squad's genetic engineers and based on a royal marriage and that doesn't seem much like a rebellion to me. That's the establishment, Liz/Max is the rebellion.
Quote:
Originally posted by TheCheshireKitten
I actually started watching this on sci-fi, and am now thinking of eventually picking up the DVDs. I've enjoyed what I've seen.
Worth picking them up, Roswell was a great show, one of the truly unique ones.