View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 09:36 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Subject
Human is just a species. The idea of being "human" is greater. I can't see how it is human to abandon your people. Your family, the people who loved you, who saved you. If it was my family that was in a war. Or in trouble in anyway. I would do anything to save them. Right or wrong, good or evil. I wouldn't give up on them because I just wanted to be left alone and be with a girl.
No, in Roswell, being fully human in a humane sort of way is shown to be mostly a human species thing, with full aliens being shown to be more ruthless and unprincipled, having a truly alien mentality. They keep talking about the harsher side of the pod squads' personalites as their "alien" sides. So in Roswell "the idea of being human" fully is kinda restricted to the human species.

And I don't feel they abandonned their alien kin, they did what they could, including their conflict with Kivar. Plus Roswell was cancelled before the story could really end. If it had gotten another season, things might have ended up differently. So I don't buy this whole "they gave up on them" thing. Plus they didn't really know their alien kin, anyway. And they had human kin too, as Michael discovered in season 2. The pod squad had every right to have human lives, which is what they were doing, not trying to be "left a alone with a girl".

As for "your family, the people who loved you, who saved you", I'm not so sure about that. Strikes me as more the people who used them as pawns in a conflict and doomed them to an existence trapped between two worlds. And I think the pod squad fitted in better with humanity and Earth than they'd have fitted in on Antar.
Quote:
The person I feel most sorry for in Roswell universe is Max/Isabel's real mother. Her children gave up on her and left her to die or be enslaved in a war.
Not the way I see it. She dragged her children back from death to use them as pawns in a war and doomed them to be trapped between two species, two worlds, two lives. She projected a nicey-nicey human hologram and played up the nice-and-compassionate manner, but I never bought that as being anything to judge her true nature by. And I got the impression she was dead by now, anyway.
Quote:
This is not an appreciation thread. It is a discussion thread. I'm not bashing Roswell and I don't "hate" it. I, as a fan of the show just feel betrayed. A show that I loved and posted so passionately about went into the trash for me. Thats a horrible thing. Roswell was the one show that I loved perhaps more then any other show. If it feels to you that I am bashing it, then it is only because I feel so deeply about this show. I felt disappointed in the direction that was taken with it and the writing of it. I could never watch a show that I hated. I loved the idea that Roswell was based on and tried to build on. Then they went and had re-construction. It makes me sick just thinking about it.
Strikes me you pretty much came in here and told me I couldn't like Roswell because you'd decided it was a load of crap. This might not be an appreciation thread, but I bet the Stargate posters wouldn't much appreciate it if I came into their thread and told them how I consider their show an obscene piece of cheap cynical money-making, heartless soulless plastic crap churned out to make a buck, made with zero intelligence, zero feeling and incredibly awful acting. I gave that stuff a chance, but it makes my stomache churn. And seeing it so popular when good stuff is gone or ignored p1sses me off bigtime. Plus I think crap like that gives sf a bad name.

As for loving a show and hating how it turned out, well, not evereybody has to feel as you do, so I'd appreciate if you allow me to feel about Roswell as I chose. And I don't mean just talking about agreeing to disagree.

And frankly I think your view of Roswell is overly narrow, not allowing that the show might have a wider or different spectrum of focus then you thought, not allowing for it to develop within that focus. I don't think Roswell is about the war and the "destiny". That stuff didn't come up until the end of season 1. What Roswell is about is the aliens trying to live among humans, being alienated and trying to fix that. Fixing it being to a large extent achieved via their connections with their human friends and significant others. It's about people who don't fit in trying to find a place for themselves and achieving that through connections with other people. Running off to Antar would have been totally counter to that.

Last edited by sum1; 09-26-2004 at 09:49 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote