View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 10:55 PM
enigma777
Master Fan

Roswell was a great show from start to finish. It was one of the best things ever on tv.

Sadly, you're not being sarcastic.

For quite a while, I took this show way too seriously, and until the last few episodes of the second season, I really did like it. After that, it was pure crap. Before that, it was pure fluff. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that a show isn't pure crap when the writers didn't remember, or rather, didn't acknowledge and remain consistent with what had happened in even the episode before, and when the two main characters were downright despicable.

Liz and Max are two of the most selfish, self-involved, irresponsible, inconsiderate, and *stupid* characters ever. Heroes they are not.

And to think that, once upon a time, I liked them. *sigh*

What to some people is destroying a character is to others developing the character.

Character development should be logical, and consistent with the existing characterizations. The character "development" on Roswell was anything but.

There is a big difference between destroying a character in the sense of illogically and irrationally betraying the character's personality and "destroying", or rather, deconstructing, a character in the sense of him/her falling from grace. A perfect example of this would be Londo in Babylon 5. Was the character's personality betrayed? No. Did he become a tragic character? Absolutely. Did it make sense and was it logical and consistent? Hell yes.

Last edited by enigma777; 09-26-2004 at 01:30 AM
enigma777 is offline   Reply With Quote