View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
blessingcurse_calling
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWillow (View Post)
So, they meet the trickster again and the joke is on Sam. What, why? Why does the trickster need to show Sam that he can't save Dean? I get that he plays jokes all the time but WHY this one? Why does he need to learn Sam a lesson? We all KNOW Dean is Sam's weakness and Sam knows it too, and he knows the demons know. Is the trickster trying to warn him to stop trying to save Dean himself and go find another way or someone else to save him? What? I don't get that part, really!
Personally, I think the whole point here with the Trickster, is that he’s actually on their side. I mean, if you think about it, he isn’t really completely evil. And therefore, he’s trying to keep Sam from falling apart. There’s no way to save Dean (now, obviously, we’re all hoping that’s not true, but as far as we know, it is). Dean is Sam’s weakness, yes, but it’s more than that. Dean is going to be Sam’s destruction. I think that’s what the Trickster is trying to show him. If he can’t learn to live without his brother, the whole world is going to go to hell, and he’s not going to be able to do anything to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWillow (View Post)
More things that I don't get...why does the trickster let Sam and Dean off the hook so easily? "I'm over it." What does that mean? Was it just to torture Sam or what? Does he feel that Sam 'learned his lesson'?
As for this, I don’t think it’s about Sam having learned his lesson. I almost took it as the Trickster giving up, in the hopes that maybe, with a little time, Sam may learn what he has to to survive: He can’t save his brother. And he has to learn to live without him… Or maybe the Trickster was simply giving up and assuming Sam a lost cause. Because, clearly, from what we saw, that’s what he is...

Did any of that make sense to anyone else, or am I just babbling? I can never tell if I'm making sense...

Personally, my biggest issue with this episode? The fact that they included the Trickster in the recap. I understand why they did it, but personally, I think it should have been avoided at all costs… And it was a bit frustrating that they tried so hard to make Dean’s death comedic, when I thought the rest of the comic relief throughout the episode would have been enough to balance it out, not to mention the fact that I thought the episode itself could have been much more powerful that way, considering the Trickster’s message in the end… Though I do find myself chuckling over some of them… I guess the ones that bothered me most were the desk and the axe. The desk, I thought, was played up too much for being only the third time Dean died. And the axe thing…? I just thought they took it a little too far with that one.

Anyway, overall it was a very powerful episode, and I have a feeling that, though I haven’t seen next week’s and I really don’t know much about it at all, I think that I’m going to wish that they had ended with this one. I know, it wasn’t exactly a cliffhanger, or anything, but that ending was just so powerful, and I think it really offers up an awesome sense of foreboding for the future… I know I’m probably alone in this, as people tend to want a huge, epic ending for something like this, but I don’t know… I guess I just thought this one was far more powerful than next week’s can even aspire to be. And to leave off with something so central to just our boys…? I just think it would have been more effective. Probably the Lit major in me again… Guess I’ll just have to wait and see next week… And don’t get me wrong, next week’s looks awesome, it just doesn’t feel like the appropriate episode to have left us with, after having seen this one…

Overall, this episode was just so intensely emotional. I’m pretty sure the most heartbreaking moment for me, was when Sam was holding Dean on that first Wednesday, and he says “I’m supposed to wake up.” I cried so hard at that point, it was ridiculous… And lost Sam… That nearly killed me, seeing Sam so completely cold and unfeeling. That is not something I ever wanted to see… Honestly, it's got me a little worried about the future for him, because I'm beginning to get really nervous about what going to happen to Dean...

Darren Hayes, This Delicate Thing We've Made
8/21/07
www.neonbird.com
blessingcurse_calling is offline   Reply With Quote