View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
blessingcurse_calling
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
You have a point there. But I don't really mind other ladies in the show. For me, it's all about what they can contribute to the whole story. I like Ruby, yes, but I hated Bela. So I'm not sure if I can be an example of the addicted ones who hates the girls because they don't want to see any girls with the brothers.
Oh, I certainly don't see you as that, and actually, I don't think I've really come across anyone who hates them just because they don't want any girls with the boys... I just mean that, from what I've seen in the past with both this show, and a number of others, most of the hostility and/or love toward new characters comes from those people who are extremely dedicated to the show, whereas people who aren't as dedicated tend to be kind of indifferent to things like this. In fact, I personally think it's a good thing when there are strong feelings for or against a certain character. Whatever way you feel, it's because you care enough about the show to be concerned with what they're doing with it. Personally, I like Bela, I think they can do great things with her, and I think they plan to, but I also understand where you're coming from, since Ruby's story is more entwined with the boys' at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
Maybe. It can be a big factor. Just my point on it is that, in Season 1, they are still trying to introduce the characters - build a bigger storylines based on them. So we get to see more of the "hunters' lives" But Season 2 and 3, they've already established their characters so they need them to grow thus they'll be giving us more stuff - tougher plots so we won't get too lost in just differentiating the two boys. (Sorry if I have to reference Lost again... I was once an additec viewer) Like in Lost, Season 1 was still the best for me... but when I think of it, it's the time that we get to know who's Jack, who's Kate... what did they do? Hiw did they brcome a part of this? Yes, it's interesting because we don't know the characters yet and it's always great to get something new out of them. If you get my drift. I'll stop now.
Oh, I definitely see what you mean here. Personally, I like Supernatural the way it is. I love the big, running storylines. It makes it more fun for me... Probably because I'm a Literature major, and therefore I'm trained to read these things critically, and the running storylines give me more to work with... But I assume I might be in the minority with that, if only because I almost always am, and so I attribute things like ratings drops to the things that I like about the show. Does that make any sense? I guess I'm just weird... Personally, I'm all for growth and character development, but it's been my experience that a lot of people aren't nearly as for that as I would have thought. And as much as I like it, I do find myself missing some of the old mythology and all that good stuff. They can keep the running storyline with it, I just want something that's not all demons. But anyway, I guess my overall point with the ratings thing, was that we basically have to rely on the established fanbase, because at this point, it's difficult to bring people in who are unfamiliar with the show, because there's just so much they have to know in order to follow an episode this season...

And I'm just gonna stop now, 'cause I don't even know if I'm making sense anymore. I think I fried my brain with Medical Anthropology and Literary Sub-Genres today... So I apologize if that was completely nonsensical...

Oh, and your icon? Love it!

Darren Hayes, This Delicate Thing We've Made
8/21/07
www.neonbird.com
blessingcurse_calling is offline   Reply With Quote