View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Amont
Dedicated Fan

I wasn't there the day Dr. Andrew Brown's life changed forever. But like most folks in Everwood, I've heard the story enough times to be able to tell it. It begins where many stories begin, in the city of New York, where Dr. Brown lived comfortably with his wife and two children...Night fell and a nasty storm rolled in...In his usual fashion, Dr. Brown worked late again. So late he was still at the hospital when he received the news...There had been, it seemed, an accident. Sadly, Andy's wife never made it from home to their son's recital that night. Instead, a life was taken tragically on the icy highway inbetween...Oh, sure the Browns did the best they could to get by after that. Pretending as though nothing had changed, knowing that everything had...As expected, Dr. Brown wasted no time going back to work. What wasn't expected was what happened once he got there...And those were Andy Brown's final words as a big-city doctor...As it turns out, Andy's leaving caused quite a stir in the medical community. Time magazine even wrote an article about it, calling Andrew Brown's departure from neurosurgery, "one of the great losses of modern medicine." Like a lot of people, you might think they were exaggerating but then, you probably don't know Dr. Brown.
Everwood, Colorado. Population, just over nine thousand and growing. Founded in 1853, this jewel of the centennial state is home to one of the country's first opera houses, oldest gold mines, third largest chili cook-off, and even the occasional world famous brain surgeon.ยด

I personally think this is an extraordinary introduction to a show like this. And I've always thought Irv's voice was the best one for the narrations, so they really made a good choice with him. I like that this particular narration is simple, yet effective as it accompanies the music and scenes that we see. And its feel, even though it describes quite tragic events, is similar to that of the fairytales we heard from our parents while we were still young. Of course, it doesn't start with 'Once upon a time..', but while watching this intro and fancying that I wouldn't be able to see any pictures, I could very easily 'see' Irv reading this to a group of young children listening avidly. So all in all a well-written intro which conjures up a lot of beautiful pictures and really left me wanting for more