View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Remedy
Addicted Fan

Ciara's 'Goodies' Climbs to No. 1 on Singles Chart

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - R&B chanteuse Ciara's "Goodies" featuring Petey Pablo jumped two places to take the top spot on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart, ending the three-week reign of Terror Squad's "Lean Back," which dropped to No. 2.

Though cuts by Nelly, Lil' Flip and Kevin Lyttle were seen as contenders for the Hot 100 throne in the week ended Aug. 29, two out of the three slipped on the list.

Lil' Flip's "Sunshine" featuring Lea fell one place to No. 3, and Lyttle's "Turn Me On" featuring Spragga Benz dipped one to No. 6. Of the once-advancing trio, only Nelly's "My Place" featuring Jaheim managed to hang on to its previous position (No. 4) for another week.

Conversely, some new challengers have emerged: Christina Milian's "Dip It Low" rose two places to No. 5, while Maroon5's "She Will Be Loved" jumped five places to No. 9.

Rounding out the top 10, Juvenile's "Slow Motion" featuring Soulja Slim dropped one place to No. 7, Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me" held at No. 8 for a second week and Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You" sat tight at No. 10.

Keys also scored the chart's top debut with her duet with Usher, "My Boo" at No. 29. The title is the fourth-highest entry of 2004 and the best for a song not recorded by an "American Idol" finalist. Season-three winner Fantasia's "I Believe" (No. 1), runner-up Diana DeGarmo's "Dreams" (No. 14) and season two runner-up Clay Aiken's "Solitaire" (No. 4) are the year's top three Hot 100 debuts.

Bowling For Soup's "1985" (No. 72), Christina Aguilera's "Car Wash" featuring Missy Elliott (No. 73) and Breaking Benjamin's "So Cold" (No. 77) also entered the Hot 100.

Terri Clark's "Girls Lie Too" jumped four places to No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart. The single ends the seven-week reign of Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying." McGraw's Curb album of the same name bowed atop The Billboard 200 this week with a career-best 766,000 copies.

Linkin Park's "Breaking the Habit" topped Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks list for the third week in a row, and also ends Three Days Grace's three-week hold on No. 1 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks tally.

Source: Reuters/Billboard