View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Cereal Killer
Fan Forum Legend

Shattered Glass #3: "Are you mad at me?"

Plot from imdb:
This film tells the true story of fraudulent Washington, D.C. journalist Stephen Glass (Christensen), who rose to meteoric heights as a young writer in his 20s, becoming a staff writer at "The New Republic" for three years (1995-1998), where 27 of his 41 published stories were either partially or completely made up. Looking for a short cut to fame, Glass concocted sources, quotes and even entire stories, but his deception did not go unnoticed forever, and eventually, his world came crumbling down.

Quotes:
Stephen Glass: I don't know what you're talking about, okay. Those are all real people.
Chuck Lane: They are?
Stephen Glass: Yeah.
Chuck Lane: Look at me... and say that again.
Stephen Glass: (beat) Those are all real people.
--

Stephen Glass: I didn't do anything wrong, Chuck.
Chuck Lane: I really wish you'd stop saying that.
--
[repeated line]
Stephen Glass: Are you mad at me?
--
Stephen Glass: If I were to throw a party where all we did was play "Monopoly," would you guys come?
Caitlin Avey: Could I be the little shoe?
Stephen Glass: Of course.
--
[after completely debunking Stephen Glass's New Republic article]
Adam Penenberg: But there is one thing in this story that checks out.
Kambiz Foroohar: What's that?
Adam Penenberg: There does appear to be a state in the union named Nevada.
---
[repeated line]
Stephen Glass: It's in my notes.
---
Amy Brand: Have you noticed the way Steve's phone has been ringing lately? Did you see all those editors at the correspondence dinner? The way they were circling him?
Caitlin Avey: Is that what you want, Amy? To get a bunch of smoke blown up your ass by a pack of editors?
Amy Brand: Yes. Yes it is.
---
Andy Fox: The New Republic, snobbiest rag in the business, the in-flight magazine of Air Force One... and their star goes out and gets completely snowed by a bunch of hackers. I mean, God couldn't have written this any better.
---
Chuck Lane: He handed us fiction after fiction, and we printed them all as fact. Just because we found him entertaining.
---
Michael Kelly: Steve, I have to ask you this: did you ever cook a piece when *I* was your boss? The story about the mini bottles, was that true?
[silence]
---
Stephen Glass: [sweating and nervous] Chuck, will you come with me because I'm afraid I might do something.
Chuck Lane: [ignores him]
Stephen Glass: Did you hear what I said?
Chuck Lane: Yeah I did... It's a hell of a story.
---
Chuck Lane: You're fired, Steve.
Stephen Glass: What?
Chuck Lane: You're fired, Steve. You've lost your job.
Stephen Glass: But you can't do that.

Pics:

Previous threads:
http://www.fanforum.com/f122/shatter...-dvd-now-9988/
http://www.fanforum.com/f122/shatter...roll-62763423/

Last edited by BehrItAll; 08-31-2009 at 06:55 PM