View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
playgroundDiaries
Elite Fan

Okay. Stolen from an earlier post of mine again, cause really, how could I not? This is for the new fans.

With the wild exception of S6, where Dylan once brought a gun to the dinner table (lol), I've always seen him as a strikingly peaceful man, his reputation for 'danger' and corruptibility being no more than myth and legend tied to his father. Every now and then, he'd use that stigma to his advantage (to get girls/companionship, protect freshmen like Scott, keep others at bay) without actually hurting anyone. Heck - he's been punched by Brandon (S1) and Steve (S5), pushed into a car by David (S10), and slapped by both Gina (S9) and Kelly (S4). Not once did he retaliate.

Anyway, here he is, in college, reputation-free and just ... mellow (like everyone was that year IMO). And he finds himself called upon to be especially patient while watching the woman he loves, and his best friend Steve, battle it out with Sears and find their personal bearings.

Ordinarily, I hate 'guy steps in and protects girl' storylines ("My hero!", etc), but I just found it hysterical to watch Dy's reluctant hesitation to jump right in and defend K/S. It's that classic, misanthropic look of disdain where all the humor stems from. Like Dylan is walking around, agitated for weeks, muttering to himself about 'Meatheads'. LOL When his aggression finally leaks out, it's in little jabs (throwing John in the pool, throwing a creme pie in his face, etc) that he knows can't really get him in trouble. And as the smallest final touch, that only an obsessed fan would notice, he's often dressed in the most benign of casual, cotton outfits that just scream 'nonviolence'. Then, he blows up at a rally protesting violence (against women, but still)! Way to hold it in, McKay.

Some shots of frustration:

"Tell me, what house are you gonna pledge to?" / "... Crack House."

'Yoooouuuu suck, man.'

"Has he gotten to the point where he'll wait, uh, '50 years' yet? That's the good stuff ... "

"Eh, push comes to shove, I love a parade."

"Uh, Dylan, do you want a piece of pie?"

Classic!