View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Jaycee
Loyal Fan

Okay. Hold on a sec. That's not fair. Jen didn't know anything about Dawson and Joey getting back together. She's not a mind reader and neither Dawson nor Joey confided in her about it! Secondly, why would Jen even have an inkling about D/J when only a few months previously Joey had been dating Pacey and Dawson as far as she knew had been single since his break up with Gretchen months and months previously? And third, Dawson and Jen were both free, single, consenting adults. I know Jen had some worry about how Joey would take the news, but not because she knew they were going to get back together. D/J hadn't been an item for two and a half years! But Jen was worried the same way Pacey had been back in S3 because of the 'ballard of Dawson and Joey.' She, too, has been a witness to the, for want of a better word, co-dependency these two had with each other over the previous years.

As for the CJ stuff, they didn't show Audrey give Jen so much as a thought when she went off with CJ and she did it deliberately. Not to deliberately hurt Jen, but because she was hurting, she wanted to blot out that hurt and she didn't care about anybody else. And yes, Jen was angry. She had every right to feel angry. Not because she had a claim on CJ, but because she liked CJ, Audrey knew that and had ignored it. This is the same girl who had the nerve to tell Joey [i]'Does the expression "bros before hos" mean anything to you?' in Cigarette Burns, S5, but whatever, Audrey was in a bad place in S6.
More than that CJ made a big deal about not wanting to get involved with anyone because of his problems and his going off with Audrey in a way made a lie of what he'd told Jen. And just to add, as hurt and angry as Jen was, she didn't lash out. She was quiet and straight up when she confronted Audrey about it. Full credit to her. She didn'take a big scene or a big deal of it and what she said was true. Audrey was sad. Her downward spiral made act that way. Jen didn't tell her anything that wasn't true - after Jen was there for her and tried to help Audrey on more than one occasion, and that was the thanks she got from Audrey.

Pacey and Audrey. That slap. Totally uncalled for. I know a few people felt he deserved it, but I don't see why. I don't believe it was just about overhearing him say he wasn't sure he had ever loved her. She took out all her frustrations on him. Ever since they got back from the summer she'd been a needy drama queen - much worse than she had been before the summer. There was hardly any understanding or concern about his need to make something of himself, plus this constant need for attention. We already knew she had problems, hinted at in S5, concerning her parents. She felt insecure and unloved. She certainly didn't seem to get on with her father.
Maybe she sensed things were not right with Pacey. Maybe deep down she already knew he didn't love her like she loved him. Maybe he seemed more distant over the summer, what with trying to keep up with party Audrey, and maybe she couldn't hack Pacey needing his own space and time to do what he had to. Afterall, they spent a lot of time with each other last season, working together as well as seeing each other outside work and then the summer together. But whatever it was it was his admission to Emma that was the clincher and I imagine hearing that must have hurt like hell, but not everything is Pacey's fault.