View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Ellevee
Part-Time Fan

Part 2...

Wed., June 30th. Still jazzed about that amazing and wonderful Lauren encounter yesterday, I decided to go back to the set and try my luck with my camera. I arrived earlier than I did yesterday (2:30 p.m.), hoping to see more of Lauren. I got off on Spadina right outside the same set where they left off yesterday. There wasn’t much activity. I walked over to the side entrance. Empty parking lot. No onlookers. This is bad news for me. I’m now vulnerable to crew and security scrutiny. Quite frankly, I was proud of how I managed to crash the set yesterday without really trying. I sort of drifted into it. Best part is, nobody questioned my presence. I guess they must have thought I was part of the crew or an extra or an extra’s companion or a school staff. Or maybe they’re just too polite to grill me. I had anticipated to be kicked out, seeing I had gone too close to the actors for comfort during actual takes. In fact, at some point a couple of cops stood right behind me. But since I was just sitting there as quiet as can be, they probably dismissed my presence as pretty harmless. For whatever reasons, thank God they let me be. But now I’ve blown my cover after everyone, especially the production crew, saw me getting Lauren’s autograph yesterday. They now know I’m just a fan out for Lauren. I expected them to be wary of me this time. I back-tracked and walked up the front entrance hoping to see Lauren’s van. All I saw was a bunch of trailers parked in front of the school.

I went inside, past some movie equipment and crew and some guy barbecueing. I stood by the same tree and surveyed the area. No sign of any actor. Then I noticed some crew carrying plates of food. Okay, lunchtime. Go home or stay? Quite a dilemma. I didn’t want to have this trip go to waste so under the sweltering sun, I trekked up the street where I took the bus to the subway last night four blocks away. Ooh, one thing I noticed last night while walking to the bus stop, the van carrying Lauren was on it’s way back to the set (That’s how slow I was walking due to very sore feet. Wore the wrong shoes. I never learn!) Then a few minutes later, Vin’s entourage (in two black escalades) passed me by. Both cars made a left on the street not far from my bus stop. Right on the sidewalk at the corner of that street was a sign that said “Crew Parking” and a couple of pylons, the same ones that littered the school’s parking lot and set. I knew then the cast and crew trailers were just a few blocks away. I didn't go down that road, though, as that would be stalkerish (as if what I wasn't already on set!)

Man, there's plenty time to kill. I had intended to return by 4:00 p.m. I figured the movie shoot will have resumed then. I went into a coffee shop to grab lunch myself and sat by the window where I could see vehicles coming in and out of the street leading to the cast/crew parking. Around 4:00 p.m. Vin's car drove by on the way to the set. I waited a few minutes for Lauren's white van. Getting impatient, I decided to head for the set. While walking back, I’ve got this crazy imagination that Lauren's van would pass me and suddenly stop and Lauren would open the door and wave me into the van and we'd drive together to the set. The sound of honking cars whizzing by jolts me back to reality.

As I walked closer to the set, I spotted Brad Garrett talking with another guy. Just as I doubted Lauren would be there, guess who would suddenly dart out through a bunch of crew. Lauren herself, half-walking-half-running to her chair and grabbing her purse. The cellphone lady was at it again. This thought put a smile on my lips. Then I noticed her looking at me, smiling
back. I thought she had that surprised oh-it’s-you-again look on her face upon seeing me.

The cast chairs are now set up close to the fence by the Spadina entrance. Right behind is a picnic table where four cops were seated. Lauren sat on her chair sideways, facing me, and started talking on the phone. Picture her wardrobe: a short light black sweater (cardigan?) over a sleeveless, vee-neck, few inches below the knee black dress with some white design here and there. Also, she was wearing simple black flip-flops. Ooh, she wore the same necklace and studs as yesterday (exactly what she had on GG’s COB eppy which coincidently aired on Global tonight).

A few minutes later, a lady crew asked me to move because I was in camera range. As I was walking to the new spot, a man on a bike stopped briefly, checking what the fuzz was all about. I told him they were shooting a film called The Pacifier. Before I could continue to say Vin Diesel stars in it, he blurts out softly, Whoa, who’s that lady? Pretty. She an actress? My back was turned from the set as I was talking to him. I turned my head to check who he was referring to. Why, Lauren, of course. Calmly but thrilled inside, I told him That'sLauren Graham from Gilmore Girls, you know, Global, channel 3. I don’t think he paid attention to that extra info because he had this wide-eyed expression on him. He stayed for a bit until the lady crew asked him to move as well. Then he rode his bike away with happy thoughts of seeing a beautiful star I’m sure. I moved further to the right, not having a clear view of Lauren who's now blocked by a huge crane. All I could see was her feet and legs. Before I was booted off my original spot, I had hoped to do a quick sign language to catch Lauren's attention to let me have a picture with her but I was out of Lauren's sight now and there are these four cops to contend with.

A little while later, a production guy approached me and told me they needed to clear the area and that I could watch from the opposite side. I wanted to have that picture so bad I decided to wait and watch. This time I wasn't as lucky. Seeing that I'm obviously the odd man out I couldn't sneak in closer to the set. I was forced to watch by the tree, about forty feet away, in the company of some extras and a production guy yelling instructions emanating from the director's tent, i.e. rolling, cut, etc. which was an ear shot from where we were standing. I could hardly see Lauren during actual takes. It was Brad Garrett I saw talking with a couple of high schoolers (extras) during these takes. It wasn’t until after each take that I got to see Lauren standing in between a huge white screen and tree branches. At one point she walked farther where I was able to see her still in flip-flops. I figured they must be taking that scene above the waist, otherwise it would be odd to shoot her from head to foot considering the scene takes place outdoors with Lauren in in those flip-flops and in that outfit (the type one would wear on a date, I should say, like the black and white number she had on GG’s Season One finale).

As I continued to watch from afar I had this wacky daydream (again) that the production guy comes up to me and tells me Lauren insists that I sit on her chair and watch the shoot from there. Then she’d tell me if anyone questions my presence I should say: I’m with her. Promise I won’t take booze and coffee at breakfast ever again.

I didn’t even see Vin. I did see him twice. In one, in between takes and in another, a scene where he wasn't needed. On both occasions he (together with Max, the teen actor) rode the trolley/scooter around our area, Vin briefly stopping right behind me at one point.

A few minutes later, I saw Brad leave the set, shaking hands with one of the production guys which made me conclude he's done with his scenes. As he walked towards the school building, he passed a boy seated on top of the stairs. He was so friendly, playfully tapped the boy's head and asked, How're you doing? He's huge. A little while later, Brittany arrived and joined the set. We could hear the director yell Action then followed by a loud Cut a few minutes after. There was brief silence then a thunderous applause from everyone on set, signaling a wrap, I presumed.

This is it, I thought out loud. Shooting is done, or maybe just Lauren’s scenes are, at least. My heart was pounding more than ever, jumping up and down, stomach to throat. I watched Lauren give hugs to a few crew, exchanged pleasantries with some. The anxiety was building up inside me. I didn’t know what to do. I walked down the stairs to meet her but quickly changed my mind mid-way. I thought it was best to wait on top of the stairs.

My heart was beating faster as I watched her walk towards my direction. She was talking with a production guy. When they both got closer, I just stood there. Dead on my tracks. I ended up watching them pass me by. I couldn’t bug her for a snapshot. I just couldn’t. She looked deep in conversation with this guy. Ethics and common decency prevented me from barging in. Even when she glanced at me. They walked further and stopped close to the building and continued talking. Lauren, with the black sweater now wrapped around her waist and still in black flip-flops, was quite animated, her arms flailing here and there. And did I mention she’s beautiful? Even from afar. I was about ten feet away. I could hear their voices but couldn’t make out of what they were discussing. Not that I tried to eavesdrop. I merely wanted to find out how important the discussion was. If it wasn’t a life-and-death kind of thing then maybe I could disrupt them for a tiny bit, I thought.

I tried not to stare at them ‘cause by now the crew and extras were all around me. I realized, too, Vin was standing right in front of me, talking with someone. I wished he’d moved because he was blocking my view of Lauren. I was feeling uncomfortable now. I’m the very picture of awkwardness. I didn’t know if I was coming or going. The more I stood there watching helplessly the more I felt like a moron. I had this image of a thousand extras and crew plus Vin all staring at me. A few minutes later, the conversation between Lauren and the guy ended. And there, I simply watched Lauren walk up the steps to the school building, disappearing behind the brick walls. The white van was nowhere in sight. I figured it must be parked in front of the school. I didn’t go check this out though for that would be outright stalkerish. I thought maybe Lauren went upstairs to change wardrobe. That was a wrap for me.

So there, with a heavy heart, I walked down the street to the bus stop. I nearly missed the last trip. As the bus pulled away I glanced at the playground, the picnic tables and school building one more time hoping to get a last glimpse of Lauren. It was just the crew pushing cameras and cables and clearing the area. Then I saw the white van pulling into the parking lot.

While waiting for my connecting bus at the end of Spadina that would take me to the subway, I saw Vin’s entourage drive by. I slipped into yet another daydream where a white van pulls up in front of me and someone in the back seat rolls down the window and there she is, Lauren, smiling, and says, “I believe you wanted to take my picture. Hop in.” Shocked but thrilled, I’d hop in and I’d snap away to my heart’s delight. Hey, I can dream one more for the road, can’t I!

Afterthoughts: I did have one of those high-tech photography thingies (still/moving, the works) inside my backpack. I came prepared. I could very well have taken pictures the whole time, both days. I had the means and countless opportunities. I could’ve. Would’ve. But didn’t. That’s where I draw the line. Ethics, respect and common decency still prevailed. I’ll get it someday. With her permission. Nothing like hearing that sweet reply of “Sure” coming from Lauren’s mouth when asked for autographs or picture. And with a sweet smile to boot. There’ll be other opportunities. She could be back for another movie shoot. I could save up and visit the Gilmore Girls set. Whichever comes first, I’ll get that chance. I can wait. I’m a patient waiter, you know!

Funny, too, I’ve had some fancy ideas for X’mas presents for all my friends and relatives. There’ll be our - me and Lauren - photo on coffee mugs. On calendars or cards. On buttons. On a million other merchandise. Anyways, the whole picture of Lauren in those couple of days is vividly etched in my head forever. Meanwhile, the picture saga continues.

Final afterthoughts. I sure am glad I came to the set when I did. I’ve known for awhile about that location shoot. I’m just notorious for procrastinating. Besides, I can’t drag anyone to tag along. Turned out to be the best decision I’d ever made. It was to be the last two days of shooting for Lauren’s scenes.

Sure I’m bummed I didn’t get a photo with Lauren. I still got more than I prayed for. There is a Lauren god after all. And he, too, smiled at me. I merely wanted to see her. A dream come true. It was fun while it lasted. No, wait, it was deliriously fun. See, I normally don’t do this kind of stuff. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever done in my whole life. It’s just that I feel it would be a shame to pass up this rare opportunity of seeing Lauren in person. And being a true blue Lauren fan that I am, I know I will never forgive myself if I let her slip out of Toronto without seeing her, especially since I’ve got the time and means to do so. She’s here. I’m here. Why wouldn’t I grab that opportunity, right? Not only did I get to “hang out with Lauren” on set for a couple of days, I also got her autograph, stood a couple inches right in front of her and got a wave and the sweetest smile ever. And, ooh, the sharpie goes into my Lauren box. That’s her finger prints right there for all eternity! Best two days of my life. And the best belated b-day present for me ever, too.

So there you have it. The full account of the most unforgettable adventure of my life in the company of Lauren Graham no less. Nothing more. Nothing less. Well, actually, there’s this thing, a teeny tiny info, a thinglet if you please, that I’d rather keep under wraps. This one’s going to the back burners. Or maybe it sleeps with the fishes and keeta the dumpster.
Ellevee: Yeah...Well, thank you so much Lauren. You don't know how much this means to me.
Lauren: (Smiles and nods) Bye Ellevee. Take care. Ellevee: Bye Lauren
Avi by Ele