View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Ellevee
Part-Time Fan

Just messing with your heads here... Thanks for your patience and threats guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Kitty
Come on Ellevee ! I'll puposely hold onto this cd of both Poker eps until you tell us the whole story!
Ha, I deserved that!

Sorry guys. Didn’t mean to bail out like that. And certainly didn’t mean to keep you hanging. The past week was pretty crazy. Everything happened so fast. I’m so sorry for not getting back on board soon enough after my last post. I had to rush back to the set and try my luck at a Lauren sighting again. That’s right, I saw her on The Pacifier set a couple of times. Absolutely, positively a WOW thing!

You know, I decided to ditch a long weekend getaway with my friends for this once in a lifetime chance to meet Lauren. We were supposed to leave that Wednesday afternoon. But certainly I wouldn’t miss Lauren for the world. I had intended to get back on board Thursday but that being Canada Day the libraries were closed so I didn't have access to a computer. Don’t own one actually. That's how pathetic my life is, so you can imagine how much I'm on Lauren heaven these days. Then one of my friends surprised me on Canada Day; said the gang couldn’t bear to leave me home alone so she volunteered to come pick me up for the long weekend escapade. Just between us, I’d rather stay home and bask on my Laureny goodness. I shouldn’t diss my friends like this really especially with their good intentions. Amidst all the fun with my friends, all I ever talked about was Lauren this and Lauren that. I spent most of the weekend writing this memoirs. My friends probably now regret they ever had me around. I know, I know you don’t care to hear about this.

I'm back now and here's a play-by-play account of my Lauren Days that I hope covers all the bases for y'all. Took me hours to type this up, trying desperately to decipher my messy handwriting through some spots of chicken gravy and ketchup. And limited computer use at the library didn’t help either. This is one long-drawn-out account so brace yourselves.

One's upon a time...kidding. just kidding. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I don't know where to begin. What can I say...there really is a God!

Tues. June 29th. I went to check out the The Pacifier set at Forest Hill Jr. & Sr. Public School in Toronto. I’ve never been through that neck of the woods and was pretty anxious and a bit scared especially since I was going solo. After getting info on bus and subway routes and a Toronto map in hand, off I went to a very exciting adventure. I got there at 3 p.m., entered through the main entrance on Dunloe Rd. (The bus driver let me off a block away which wasn't his fault 'cause I told him to let me off where I could get to Dunloe which apparently is a long road, a block away off the main road. I only took a sigh of relief when a block away I saw movie trailers in front of the school bldg. I knew then I was on the right track. Much later, I discovered the school's back entrance is right on the main street Spadina Ave., where the bus runs. I didn’t have to walk that far after all. Oh, well, you live and learn).

The place was bustling with activity. They were shooting a scene at the playground located at the back of the school building. The playground (close to the school building) and picnic tables (close to the main road) are on the left, on the right is a small oval. There were dozens of extras, mostly kids . I blended well with the crowd watching on the sidelines, all of whom are related or have connections to the extras. Then it occurred to me I’m the only outsider. I had to keep a low profile. I tried to look cool, quietly watching Vin with a baby strapped in front of him sitting on a see-saw with four small kids. The scene calls for him see-sawing with the kids while training high powered binoculars around him, then typing something on a laptop set up on the see-saw in front of him. They took several shots of this scene that seemed like forever so I trained my sights around me hoping against hope I’d see Lauren. I’d mutter to myself softly over and over again: Lauren, where are you? Please be here. Please be here.

I decided not to ask anybody about anything at all as I wanted to be discreet about my presence seeing I was the odd man out there. I kept my eyes and ears open. Some ten feet away, I noticed a guy getting out some black panels with white writing on them one of which I thought read Lauren. They turned out to be the back rest of the high chairs provided for the cast and director. My heart raced like hell. I knew then for sure Lauren would be on set. My radar’s on definitely. More than ever. I stood beside a production lady talking on her walkie talkie (all those involved in production have this walkie talkie hanging on their waist connected to an earphone.) In a lame attempt to blend in with this crowd, I got out my walkman and clipped it to my belt and kept the earphone on my earlobes with the walkman switched off (I had been listening to GG music. It’s a tape of all the background music from GG which I recorded from the first season to at least the third).

A man lugging a massage gear was standing beside the production lady. I overheard her saying to the man, She’s upstairs doing her hair. If you could please wait a little while. She’ll be down any minute. Could she be referring to Lauren, I thought to myself. The man unpacked his gear (dirty!) and set it up on the parking lot close to the wall of the school building. I sat by the fence and watched Vin shoot the same scene over and over again. I pity the kids pretending to enjoy playing in the playground in the middle of the day under that scorching sun. A few minutes later I glanced at the masseur, who by then was carrying his gear up into the school building. That was the last I saw of him.

Meanwhile, I kept my eye on the stairs leading down to the set. Close to the bottom of the stairs is where the director’s tent and a couple of monitors had been set up . Right outside were some “cast” chairs and unidentified people sitting there (unidentifiable to me, at least). My eyes were busy scanning the whole area from left to right and vice versa. A short while later with my butt feeling sore from an hour of sitting on hot cemented pavement, I decided to walk over to the other side, where a lone big tree stood which is close to the stairs, where I figured I could get a closer and better view of the director’s tent. Who cares about the movie shoot! The tree didn’t give much shade from its leaves and branches . The trunk is huge though, enough to give a cool shade. I sat on the paved ground right beside the tree and as I turned my head up, who else would pop out of the director’s tent but Lauren Graham herself.

I was shocked, ecstatic, surprised and delighted to see that very pretty sight. I was all giddy but had to keep my composure in check. I can’t believe I missed her entrance. For all I know all this time she could’ve been inside the director’s tent watching Vin on the monitor do his scenes. Well, what matters most now is she’s here. Lauren Graham in the flesh. I can’t believe I’m ten feet away from my beloved Lauren. Man, she’s tall, slim and very beautiful. She was wearing a mint green tailored suit and matching slacks and white sleeveless button down shirt (she took off her coat later while having her makeup done) and blackish or brownish stiletto . Her hair’s straight, no highlights (just appropriate for her character). She went inside the tent carrying an off- white purse and plopped it on the chair bearing her name. She got out a pair of brown sunglasses and wore it for a few minutes. Someone chats her up so she had to take the sunglasses off and put it on her head instead. That classic Lauren/Lorelai look.

A short time later she was told to walk over to the opposite side of the playground close to the Spadina entrance (main road) where the picnic tables are and some small trees that provided better shade for everyone. The set is now moving to that side. Casually, I walked with the flow of human and equipment traffic and successfully blended in with the crew.

Before I knew it, I was standing right smack in the middle of the set.
I realized I was five feet away from the picnic table where Lauren and Vin were seated, listening intently to the director’s instructions on the particular scene they were about to do. Deep inside I was all giddy ready to explode in pure ecstasy. Lauren was soaking in the directions given her and at some point voiced out some clarification. Vin, on the other hand was reading some notes from a half sheet of paper with a few yellow green highlighter on it. Didn’t look like a script though. Could be his lines or something.

A lady hands Lauren the baby actor with whom Vin did a scene earlier. Right then, I turned around and saw a man approaching. He asked me if I was with the crew, to which I answered, No, I was just watching. I got there even before the cameras were set up. I had dibs on that spot. Or so I thought. He politely motioned me to move away, which I did. But as soon as he left, I moved forward to the picnic table closer to where the baby's mother was seated to blend in, hopefully .

Lauren's a natural at motherhood, I thought. The way she carried the baby. There was TLC. She was baby-talking to him, making faces that seemed to amuse him, rocking him back and forth. The baby is sweet-tempered, I must say. Both babies are, actually (they’re using twins). I never heard them cry at all except for that scene where he needed to.

While the scene is being set up for actual shoot, Lauren is occupied with the baby. She's left alone to interact with him. She walks away from the set towards the playground at the opposite end. At that point, I was debating whether to chat her up seeing the lull on set and she being alone with the baby and all. But I had to stop myself lest I be kicked out of the premises. I had to content myself with watching her from the sidelines. Having walked far from the set, Lauren at some point got tired and stopped to talk with someone, somewhat easing her up with the baby, now resting on her hips. A typical mother-baby sight, I might add.

It was taking forever for the cameras to get rolling again and I was freaking out I'd be found out soon. I decided to move away from the table, walked over to the fence (Spadina side), a safer ten feet away from Lauren and Vin's table and plopped my butt to the ground. Lucky I picked up some newspaper at the subway. I started doing the crossword puzzle. Before I knew it, Lauren was back on set, without the baby. The makeup artist talked to her for a bit. Lauren took off her coat and sat on the picnic table's bench where I was standing earlier. Darn it, I shouldn't have moved! Then the makeup artist sat in front of her and did her thing. Man, I would kill to be that makeup artist. Lauren was actually facing me so I pretended not to stare at her and would steal a look whenever she wasn’t looking. At some point, she'd apply the makeup herself or do some touch ups after the girl applies brown eye shadow on the eyelids. She was enjoying herself the whole time. It was simple makeup she had on, lips not red at all. Sorry, I'm totally clueless in this department. No vivid descriptions for you. I stopped wearing makeup many moons ago.

The scene calls for Lauren, sitting at the picnic table, tending to the baby (in a baby basket - is that what it’s called?) right beside her. Then Vin and Morgan York would come in running towards her. Vin says something to Lauren, takes off the belt with a bunch of baby stuff attached to it, i.e. milk bottles and other baby paraphernalia, he's wearing and then rushes off through a bunch of extras (mostly high schoolers) walking in the background. This scene was shot a number of times.

In between takes, Lauren would go off to her chair, grab her purse and get out the cell phone. I had been worried about her purse left unattended while they were shooting. But I kept an eye just in case. (I had this scenario in my head where I see someone grabbing her purse. I’d scream for help then trips the robber when he runs past me. And I'd end up saving the day for Lauren and Lauren would be like thanking me profusely and letting me sit right on the set. O-kay back to reality! Must be the heat).

She's so the cellphone lady. . I wonder who she’s talking with. She looked serious. There’s nothing else for her to do. Apparently she’s not a book person. Vin, on the other hand, would walk towards the school building in between takes. At one lull moment they chatted a little bit. They're both of the same height, by the way (although, Lauren's wearing heals.) It's quite a sight with Lauren's slim frame standing beside a buffed Vin. I wonder if she's saying, What's up da D's the way she said it on Conan a while back.

The next scene calls for Lauren to walk towards the same picnic table where Vin tends to the baby in the basket. They exchange a few lines. Then Vin's sort of beeper goes off and tells Lauren he has to go, then dashes off. Lauren is left with the crying baby, she pulls out some wipes from a baby bag and tends to the baby herself. Again they go over this scene a thousand times.

At this point, a guy from production asked me to move as the next shot hits the spot where I had planted myself on. He motioned me to move to the right, which is cool 'cause I'd be closer to the set. I sat beside a couple of teenagers. I couldn't help overhearing their conversation considering they're seated next to me. Apparently they're waiting for Vin, hoping to get his autograph.

After a few takes of the same scene the same guy approached the two girls beside me and asked if they were extras, to which they nodded. Politely, he told them extras are not allowed in that area. By then I freaked out 'cause I'm sure as hell now crashing the set. Still, I played it cool. I mean, if they kick me out, they kick me out. But, to my mind, until that happened I could still stay put and enjoy great Laureny goodness right before my eyes.

As they were preparing to do yet another take of the same scene, the same guy then approached me and said the area had to be cleared and told me I could watch from the opposite side, close to the see-saw and about twenty feet away from set. I'm actually glad I was banished from that spot because I saw the amazing opportunity of definitely passing Lauren on my way there. She was pacing back and forth, just steps away from the picnic table waiting for the cameras to resume rolling. She turns towards my direction, both hands folded in front of her. Suddenly I find myself three feet away from her. We both make eye contact. She smiles, I smile back. HOW COOL IS THAT! I convinced myself not to pass out. God, not without makeup on!

I stood by the entrance to the playground which is enclosed by wooden fences. It's the exact spot where Lauren was bonding with the baby actor earlier. A few more takes then finally, around 8 p.m., the director yells Cut. Check the gates. They're done for the day. All the extras started filing back towards the school building, the crew started to put away wires and equipment.

I was debating to stay put or walk over to Lauren. I waited a couple of minutes then decided to head to the vicinity of the cast chairs. I figured I could catch her there. I'm now going against the tide here. Everyone's heading towards the school building, I'm headed the opposite direction. I walked further, eyeing Lauren's every move. She grabbed a bite to eat (the kraft table had finger food, fruits, etc.) She went to get her purse, slung it over her right shoulder, put down the coffee cup on the picnic table then walked over to the director's tent. By then I was getting anxious. I didn't want to look obvious so I decided to walk away and wait at the top of the stairs instead. As I was walking towards the school building, I glanced to my right and saw a couple of extras walking beside me. That moment, at the corner of my eye, I see this figure wearing mint clothes walking right behind. Realizing it was Lauren, I quickly slowed down to be in step with her but maintained a respectable two feet distance between us. I glanced at her. This is how our conversation went:

Ellevee: Hi, Lauren

Lauren: Oh, hi (smiling sweetly)

Ellevee: Sorry to bother you...Could I possibly get your autograph?

Lauren: Oh, sure (still smiling)

We both stopped at the bottom of the stairs. I unzipped my bulky backpack, got out my Glow mag with a red sharpie already attached to it (I prepared this earlier so as not to keep her waiting) and handed it over to Lauren. She looks straight at me, I look at her. Our eyes completely locked.

Lauren: (Sweetly) What's your name?

I told her my name then she started signing the mag. She definitely took her time signing. I could hear a production lady behind me, presumably talking to her walkie-talkie, saying She's headed your way. Oh wait, she's signing autograph[./I] I just stood there staring at her hands. They're beautiful. After signing her name, she looked at me again.

Lauren: There you go.

As she was handing me the mag, a phone card dropped to the ground. (Plan A was for her to sign a picture inside the pages. The one where she's wearing the brown glittery top. I had used the phone card as a bookmark. But I thought I was already imposing so I had to ditch this plan. I had to settle for the cover.) She bends down to pick up the phone card and hands it over to me while looking at the mag she just signed. Just then I was about to slip the mag back into my backpack. She stopped me and said:

Lauren: I don't know...smudge. I don't think the pen is...

I was preoccupied with what my next move or dialogue would be now she’s done signing my stuff that I didn't realize my name was smudged a bit. I stared at the mag’s cover and muttered...

Ellevee: Oh...

Lauren: You should let it dry for a while then it'll be okay.

Ellevee: Oh... Yeah...Well, thank you so much Lauren. You don't know how much this means to me.

Lauren: (Smiles and nods) ‘Bye Ellevee. Take care.

Ellevee: : ‘Bye Lauren

I stood there, holding the Glow mag with both hands, my eyes fixed on her as she walked up the stairs where three young fans stopped her for yet another autograph. As if recovering from a trance, I quickly ran up the stairs and watched her walk towards a production guy who led her to a waiting white van, doors to the back seats left wide open. She opted to seat in front instead, opening the door herself. Very uncelebrity-ish, I must say. The driver took a wrong turn, driving towards a dead-end. He maneuvers to get out of the bend with the production guy directing traffic calling out to people Watch out, back out a little. Lauren's driving through...

Lauren kept the car window down. I stood by, some two feet away from the van’s path, my eyes forever transfixed at Lauren. Her head was bent down. The driver drove slowly and quite cautiously as there were children lurking by. Right before the van drives past me, Lauren lifts her head up and looks straight at me. I smile and wave to her, at the same time mouthing Bye. She waves back and, oh, that smile! Sweetest smile I’ve ever seen in my whole life. I gazed at her one last time until the van disappears into the street. If I dashed over to the main street, I could still catch a glimpse of her, I thought to myself. But it’s okay. I would’ve looked like an idiot. As if I wasn’t already, all this time.

I headed for the bus stop on Spadina feeling so on cloud 9. That was some Lauren heaven going back there, I mused. My watch said 8:30 p.m. I waited for the bus for about 20 mins. which to my mind was too long on a weekday evening. I crossed the street to ask a couple of people about the bus schedule. Apparently the bus’ Monday to Friday regular run ends at 6:30 pm. My only option to get to the subway is to catch the bus up on the street four blocks away. Good thing it's summertime and the sun's still up. Otherwise, I'd be scared stiff to walk that far in a very unfamiliar place at that unholy hour. No pay phone around even. It was the first time I'd stayed that late especially in this side of town. I realized when I got home later that night the danger I had put myself through. My friends thought so, too. Anything for Lauren!

Afterthoughts: I had wanted to chat with Lauren a while longer. As I sat waiting for her to finish her scenes, I had processed in my head millions of topics that we could talk about before she left. I wanted to ask her if she had more scenes to shoot tomorrow as I wanted to come back and watch. But the minute I handed her the mag and our eyes locked I completely froze. I was so mesmerized. Suddenly, I lost my tongue. Suddenly, I'm four, needing to be prodded to do anything at all. I didn’t even get to tell her I’m a huge fan. Or how much I admire her work. Or how great an actor she is, etc., etc. I blew it. Big time! I just stood there and helplessly watched her walk away. See, this is exactly what I feared would happen once I came face to face with Lauren — brain toast and twisted tongue. Sadly, it did happen. I’m normally braver when I’m with company. Hey, come to think of it. I’m really four, fully dependent on someone’s prodding.

Also, part of Plan A was to ask for a picture with her after she'd signed the mag. But knowing fully well that she'd just gotten off work and was probably exhausted I decided not to push it. I didn't want to keep her any more than was necessary. It was a shame ‘cause that was one great opportunity down the drain. I mean, I was the only fan around and I had Lauren to myself. But then I didn’t want to waste her time. Later, I was kicking myself. I should’ve asked for the picture first. As Lauren was going up the stairs I tried to do the power of suggestion for her to look back at me and ask if I wanted to get her picture. Hardly worked. Regrets, regrets! Oh, I did think of taking a stolen shot of her as the van drove by, with her smiling and waving at me. But I stopped then and there for that would’ve been paparazzi-ish. I love and respect Lauren that much to stoop to that level. Anyways, I thought I could bug her for the photo tomorrow.

In hindsight, I now realize how dangerous it was for me to have walked that far alone and late at night, notwithstanding daylight on the horizon. I was the only living soul walking on that street. Not that the place is a known danger zone or something. On the contrary, it’s one of the affluent neighborhoods in Toronto. These days, no place is safe anymore. Not even sacred places. The thought that something bad could’ve happened to me really gives me the creeps now that I think of it. Still that didn’t keep me from chasing Lauren (no pun intended). If I hadn’t pursued this fantasy, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you about a very happy ending to a wacky adventure. And, yes, I will surely do it again. Only for Lauren. Maybe next time I’d wear comfy shoes and get myself a cellphone.

Sorry my computer time's up. The next guy's getting edgy. I'll be back as humanly as possible.

to be continued...Part 2
Ellevee: Yeah...Well, thank you so much Lauren. You don't know how much this means to me.
Lauren: (Smiles and nods) Bye Ellevee. Take care. Ellevee: Bye Lauren
Avi by Ele

Last edited by Ellevee; 07-10-2004 at 12:08 PM