View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004, 03:18 PM
bexter
Passionate Fan

Not a positive review... you've been warned

I've seen a lot of comic book movies, mostly due to the fact that my twin brother loves comics and I usually go see them with him. I grew up watching the cartoons of X-Men and Spiderman, etc.

I was really wary about seeing this sequel for two reasons: 1) sequals suck, in general, though there are exceptions like Shrek 2 or X-men 2 and 2) because I hated the first Spiderman movie.

However, I went because it was my friend's 21st birthday and he picked the movie.

This movie was worse than the first one. The performances were lackluster and the only thing that this movie has to recommend itself is its special effects. It amazes me that there was actually a Pulitzer Prize winner listed as one of the writers for this movie (that's Michael Chambon) because not only was the dialogue terrible, the storyline was awful and had more than a few holes in it (like the whole fusion thing sucking in metal objects, though interestinly Doc Oc's arms remained immune or that Peter's spidey powers were suddenly gone then back again with no explaination).

The love story was even more annoying in this installment, Dunst and Maguire have zero chemisty. Speaking of the two stars, it amazes me that they actually payed Dunst for this role. She does nothing to make her character endearing or even three dimensional. She is nothing more than that pretty face on the billboard that we see over and over again throughout the movie. Maguire, who's earnest Pete Parker was sympathetic in the first movie, was dorky and rather annoying in the sequal. James Franco's whole avenge my father deal would have been interesting if he hadn't played it in such a whiny bitch sort of way (slapping Peter? PLEASE. At least let the guy throw a punch!) And as for the villian, Alfred Molina tried to make his character into something more than a raving lunatic and ultimately failed because the material was just not there for him to work with.

After seeing scenes where "Raindrops keep falling on my head" plays in the background while a jolly Peter moves through his days and a pitiable scene involing Mary Jane and a wedding gown, I can only conclude that director Sam Rammi was either on drugs or suffering a mental break while shooting this movie. People actually laughed mockingly in the theater at these scenes.

Basically this movie is not worth the hype, the 8 bucks you pay to see it, or the millions that was invested in it.

So I am sure, judging by the box office numbers, that many disagree, but this is just my opinion. You could surely find something better to watch if you ask me

"Love is being stupid together."

I have my own fun...