View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 PM
bluestockinghp
Part-Time Fan

Long post--sorry

hammergirl -- Your posts are always so insightful--I always say ITA to myself--time I posted to say so.

I was very surprised at how much Cuaron had H and Hr physically close in the POA movie--I sure didn't remember all that in the book, so I reread the last few chapters. Cuaron added SO much--the whole whomping willow scene was much more dramatic, Hr landing on top of Harry is not in the book, all the hand-holding and full-body embraces in the time-turner sequence are not in the book. The Werewolf-Lupin chase scene, with Hermione sheltering desperately in Harry's arms, was completely made up for the movie. In the book H and Hr grab each other's arm occasionally, but that's about it.

At the same time the movie gave Ron short shrift, making him seem less and less worthy of contending for Hermione's heart. The movie played up his fear of spiders and took away his most courageous line (about defending Harry in the Shrieking Shack scene) and gave it to Hermione. Plus the Ron/Hermione hug in Hagrid's hut got cut. We did get Hermione grabbing Ron's arm twice in the Care of Magical Creatures class--but that can be interpreted as an instinctual reaction on Hermione's part when she feels Harry might be in danger from Buckbeak. So I have to say I was very surprised to see how many people (including critics and even the producer) felt that the movie showed R/Hr's budding romance.

I guess the scene that got their attention is the trio hug, which I have to admit I have a lot of trouble explaining. Why does Hermione turn to Ron first for comfort after Buckbeak's execution? It doesn't make sense with the rest of the movie. The only answer I can think of is that Cuaron was determined to put in his homage to Y tu mama tambien and have a trio hug, even if it had to be forced. If he had Hermione embrace Harry first, there was no way it would have been credible for Ron to then rest his head on Hermione's shoulder. Ron has never initiated physical contact with Hermione; he would have just stood there while the other two comforted each other. But once Hermione reached out to Ron, it was at least a little believable that Harry would reach out to her as well. Although the whole scene still looked forced and awkward to me--a staged tableau rather than a realistic scene.

So my question is does anyone know whether Cuaron had to clear all the H/Hr touching and embraces with JKR? It sort of makes it hard for the next director to just ignore the H/Hr closeness and have Harry crushed out on Cho for the next two movies. Assuming they include the H/Hr scene walking around the lake in GOF, Newell will have to position them so they are back to looking like just friends again rather than a couple. (And, given how Dan and Emma are gazing so adoringly at each other these days, he may just have to have them walk side by side and never look at each other to have THAT work.)

If JKR did give Cuaron the OK for his changes then I am more confident than ever that H/HR is her eventual choice. The only way that might not happen is if one of them dies (obviously) or Rowling goes the Star Wars route and makes them long-separated siblings. (Tricky to do since she's told us Harry's birthday is in July and Hermione's in September.) She's not going to give the "greatest witch of her age" and the female character she most identifies with to anyone less than Harry.

Apologies for the length but at least I don't post very often!