View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Dr. Reid
Dedicated Fan

I'm not really a great fan of music. I don't follow any particular artists and I couldn't name any songs currently in the charts.

However, the music used in Scrubs has really opened my eyes. Almost exclusively, every song used in the show is a perfect match for the scene it accompanies. I've somehow managed to get hold of well over 200 pieces of music - not just main songs used, but also the classical music, the original songs that the characters sing parts of, even some of the songs by Ted and his band I still haven't managed to hear all the songs in one go yet!

I thought I'd post a top 10 of my favourite songs, and a top 10 of the best uses of music.

My Favourites

1. Dreaming Of You - The Coral
2. American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
3. Delirous Love - Neil Diamond
4. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
5. Camera One - Josh Joplin
6. My Brilliant Feat - Colin Hay
7. Drown - The Poor Rich Ones
8. All Kinds Of Time - Fountains Of Wayne
9. A Murder On One - Counting Crows
10. I Wanna Know - The Mavericks

Best uses of music.

1. Dreaming Of You - The Coral (My Monster)
I just think this is perfect. It really captures the energy of these two characters, matching their slightly clunky passion. It almost feels as if it's giving them a boost.

2. Winter - Josh Radin (My Screw-Up)
Just too sad for words

3. All Kinds Of Time - Fountains Of Wayne (My Ocardial Infarction)
Surely a case of the scene being written to match a song? This is one of my favourite episodes of any TV show, and this scene is just amazing.

4. Boston - Augustana (His Story III)
We finally get to see a human side to the Janitor, and as he gets his thankyou, we hear the words "No-one even knows my name" Superbly moving.

5. How To Save A Life - The Fray (My Lunch)
I don't think that My Lunch was as great an episode as it could be, but the last few minutes are just perfect TV. Both lyrically and musically, this really captures the intensity and heartbreak of the scene

6. Tell Her This - Del Amitri - My Sex Buddy
How can you not feel sorry for JD in this scene? How many people really hoped JD would tell her how he felt? The entire JD/Elliot relationship arc of season 2 was perfectly captured with music (special mention goes to Howie Day and She Says)

7. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (My Journey)
Beautiful song and the way it plays over this scene is magical. The flash we see on screen as we shift from Elliot to Sean is right on cue with the music, Superb.

8. Easy Tonight - Five For Fighting (My Blind Date)
I know the song was changed for the DVD, and it's such a huge shame. The Elliot/Cox storyline is my favourite plot in this episode, and this scene is another favourite of mine, and when heard with the original choice of song it's even more powerful.

9. Our Love - Rhett Miller (His Story II)
Another JD/Elliot related scene. I don’t really know why, but this song just feels right.

10. American Girl - Tom Petty (My American Girl)
Other than the fact Elliot is both American and a girl, I'm not sure why this should work so well with the scene. But it does, and I love it.

For my own enjoyment, I tend to prefer more jolly and lighthearted songs, but the show can capture any kind of scene with music. Looking at these choices, I think it's fait to say that I regard season 3 as having the best music, which is probably a reason why I have season 3 as my overall favourite.

I’m already considering amending some choices, simply because there is so much great stuff to choose from!

Turk: I think you're a fascinating study of human behaviour

Last edited by Dr. Reid; 02-20-2007 at 12:36 AM