View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
lancer1993
Fan Forum Hero

Gilmore Girls: French Twist - TV Squad
Quote:
Gilmore Girls: French Twist

Gilmore Girls: French Twist(S07E07) Thanks for ruining things, Mike.

I'm talking to Mike Ausiello, TV Guide's resident Gilmore Girls fan and spoiler king. Because he had well-placed moles over at GG (he was an extra there, after all), he revealed a big-ass plot point from this episode a few weeks ago, and by the time it wrapped around the Internets, even spoiler-averse people like me knew what was going to happen tonight. So the surprise wasn't there at all.

(By the way, I like Mike. Even interviewed him once. Nice fella. But he's gotten so big that it's hard to avoid his spoilers, even if you want to.)

Here's the thing about the whole Chris and Lorelai shebang, something I've been saying ever since it re-started at the beginning of this season: It doesn't make sense anymore. It just seems phony. By itself, it's adorable. Three seasons ago, it would have even been a heartwarming and fun storyline to follow. But too much has gone on since then; no matter how responsible Chris has become, no matter how charming he is or how much he throws his money around, no matter how much history is between him and Lorelai, this current phase of their relationship is leaving me cold.

And it's nothing that Christopher's doing that's turning me off. Yeah, his penchant for these big romantic gestures, like paying a lot of money to have a romantic bistro open for him and Lor at five in the morning, doesn't seem to jibe with the "all we need is each other" mantra he and Lor have been spouting since the early eighties. Chris really does seem more mature and responsible than he was before. It's just that while the two of them are falling back in love and walking hand-in-hand through Paris (the city, not the tighly-wound friend of Rory's), Luke is on an island over in Stars Hollow. He doesn't talk to Lorelai anymore, and he rarely talks to Rory. Now he's just there to get angry with Taylor, yell at Kirk, be a dad to April, and make sure Lane, who's pregnant with twins, takes it easy.

It's just not natural; it's like the entire heart of what GG was about -- friendships, Stars Hollow, Lor and Rory -- has been ripped apart, and now we get these separate worlds, none of which are as interesting as the world they used to be a part of. Yes, I know characters should be allowed to grow and change. But something has disappeared with all that growth and change. A sense of lightness, a sense of fun. I don't know... none of it feels right.

So Lor and Chris are married. You know that Lor doesn't feel right about it ,either; the look in her eyes at the end of the episode was the same as it was when she woke up next to Chris at the end of last season. Doesn't she have a backbone? Can't she say no to this man? Or is she just so lonely, so ready to have what she thinks is the idyllic life, despite the fact that she's built a great life for herself already, that she'll succumb to anything Chris throws at her? Something tells me she wanted Luke to be like this, too, which was unrealistic; she knew him long enough to know he wasn't Mr. Impulsive. Anyway, the preview at the end of the episode is giving me an indication that a) the elopement aftermath isn't going to be so idyllic, and b) Luke is going to get back involved in a big way. Until then, we're really just treading water.

Other than that? Hm... Nice to see Mrs. Kim for the first time this year. Though the stories about her strictness towards Lane are getting a bit tiresome. Lane's 22. She's married. She's having twins. Leave her the hell alone already, lady! Though it was funny to hear Zack talk about taking care of Siamese twins (or conjoined, if you're PC) after seeing them in the ultrasound picture. Is Keiko Agena really pregnant? That's the only reason I can think of that they inserted this storyline. Actually, it's not a bad idea, considering she wasn't really going to do much this season, anyway.

The Rory story was eh. Her nattering artsy friends are teeth-grindingly irritating, but at least it gave us a chance to see what Rory would look like if she was in a band. Cute. All of this wistfullness about where she's going in her life seems sudden, doesn't it? But it's a sign that things are changing for Ror. She won't be editing the paper anymore. She's graduating. Logan's in London, and she has no idea what she's going to do. Well, welcome to real life, Ror; it's a bitch. She'll figure it out.

It's interesting that one of the girls referred to her boyfriend simply as "Boyfriend;" I thought the writers were putting that in as an annoying affect until we found out who "Boyfriend" was: Rory's old buddy Marty! You remember him, right? I have no idea why he decided to pretend not to know Rory when he was introduced to her; maybe he was so affected by his crush on her and her rejection two years ago that he didn't even want to give his new girlfriend any indication that they knew each other. It was a pretty nasty blow to Rory's emotional solar plexus, but she kind of deserved it after the way she strung the guy along. Oh, Rory... not being in control hurts, doesn't it?

Despite my objections to the overarching plots so far this season, the episode on its own wasn't that bad; not nearly as annoying as last week's, and it flowed pretty nicely. Actually, I prefer an episode with normal-sounding dialogue at this point than one that tries to hard too sound like Team Palladino wrote it. But we're probably a couple of episodes away from there being a big emotional climax, and the ride until then is going to be bumpy. And, unfortunately, probably a little bit boring, too.