View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 AM
-Bianca-
Elite Fan

Quote:
If he put aside put-upon, would Gosling still be a star?
Published November 3, 2006

It was as if I had my own Ryan Gosling film festival. I saw his movie Half Nelson at Enzian Theater and an earlier movie, Stay, on a premium channel.

I love what Sentinel movie critic Roger Moore calls Gosling: Edward Norton Lite.

R.G., who always looks tired and put-upon, plays his specialty, troubled young men, in both Half Nelson and Stay -- a druggie in the former, a mental case in the pretentiously arty Stay.

It's hard to believe R.G. was on The New Mickey Mouse Club with such lightweights as Britney and Justin. How great are their movie careers? Does Britney even have a career?

As good movies do, Half Nelson, in which Gosling plays a teacher, reminded me of a couple of incidents when I taught junior high: A colleague started coming to school with liquor on her breath, and another teacher and I tried to help her, to little avail. Then one morning about 3, she called me and said she had a gun and was going to kill herself. I went to her apartment and talked her down (it wasn't easy), and last I heard she got her act together, married and had kids -- which is a more satisfactory ending than the one in Half Nelson.

If he put aside put-upon, would Gosling still be a star? - Orlando Sentinel : Columnists
Quote:
On the other hand, Ryan Gosling has been a critics' darling since Henry Bean's The Believer, but his role in Ryan Fleck's indie drama Half Nelson is a new career high. Can indie distributor THINKFilm get Oscar voters to see the movie?

The Oscar Warrior's '07 Awards Preview - ComingSoon.net
Quote:
Ryan Gosling, who's been up and coming for the last few years, gets his best big-screen showcase in Half Nelson, a hard-hitting urban melodrama that allows him ample opportunity to display his range.

RelishNow | Excellent cast, good script turn out a moving urban drama in 'Half-Nelson'
Quote:
Ryan Gosling is electrifying in the role, delivering a performance that is sure to catapult him into the front ranks of stardom. He is at once invisibly naturalistic and hypnotically watchable, believably wise and a little nuts (there go those dialectics again).

What happens in his work here is something beyond reciting lines and pretending; it's a kind of imaginative alchemy.

:: TheSouthern.com - The Southern Illinoisan ::