View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Darbi
Master Fan

Good Start...

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post.

Wow...who knew that stepping away from the forums for a few days could renew my enthusiasm.

First thing first... to TPTB for casting Elizabeth Mitchell. Not only did she step into her role with conviction--immediately adding nuances to the character that make her both likeable, yet uncertain of her motives, interests and perhaps her reluctance with the "Others" agenda. She also managed to pull off the near impossible by making Jack bearable again.

That and she knocked his *ss out cold with one punch. Kept waiting for Sarah to do it, but I'll take what I can get. My brother just shook his head with a wry smile after that scene ended and said, "Man, he has got to feel like a true punk to get knocked out not only with one punch, but by a female. Pitiful." I love my brother.

I did notice that the writers didn't rely on Jack's flashback too heavily. They were tying up a loose end with the demise of Jack's marriage, while expounding on Jack's tendency to lose focus when he becomes obsessed. He literally turned into a stalker. Not sure why he didn't just hire a private investigator if he was that determined to find out who Sarah left him for...maybe it was his pride.

I will admit that I felt a both sorry and repulsed by the comment Jack made to his father about not measuring up. The look that flashed across Christian's face was one of sorrow and sympathy for his son. After all those years, Jack still didn't get it the essence of that conversation...and he was to blame for that. I would imagine just hearing those words thrown back at him had more to do with his falling off the wagon than Jack beating him up. What a sad predicament for both men.

Not sure what to make of Sarah walking away with that mysterious smile upon her face. There didn't seem to be any humor or malice in it, however. If the parallell is to be made with how Juliet dealt with Jack, patience, care and concern...then to see him break down, offering Sarah anything to simply tell him who this other man...then it was both heartbreaking and confirming of her reasons for leaving Jack in the first place. He didn't want to know who this other man was to make things better with Sarah, or even to understand why she left...he just wanted to have someone else to blame for whatever his shortcomings were as a husband.

Did anyone get the sense that Juliet may not be in the "Others" camp of her own volition? Her exchange with Benry was anything but friendly, which I hope the writers have a good idea in mind in the telling of that story.

There were a several schools of thought that may have been at work in regards to the symbolisms running throughout this episode. Here's some of my thoughts.

There was no coincidence the "Others" chose the settings in which to put Sawyer, Kate and Jack. At first glance, Sawyer's psychological cage gave the impression not much thought went into it at all. It was a barbaric, animalistic setting one he would likely feel somewhat comfortable in given the tendencies of his nature. But it was anything but. I would dare say the "Others" have a wait and see if he gives them more agenda in regards to Sawyer.

Jack...actually, I found Jack's "cage" the most intriguing and diabolical. He's incased a aquarium or sorts which is in cased in water. An element that consumes, envelopes and submerges an individual. Jack's demeanor in his flashback and present mindset suggests in his effort to control his environment, he nearly drowned in his obsession with knowing whose Sarah's new lover was. The parallell came in his near literal drowning when he opened the hatch door, against Juliet and Benry's warning not to (Christian, Sarah warnings reiterated: "Let it go, Jack.")

Kate...ah, Kate. Now wasn't she just pretty as a picture in her ta-ta emphasizing sundress?

Kate had no real "cage" except the drappings in her mind and heart. They cleaned her up, dressed her up and set before (literally) a table of civilized, sophistication and freedom. A fine breakfast, a beautiful view. It was perfect except for one thing..."I'm going to have to ask you to put them on." says Benry...letting her know...she's not really free at all. Any dignity she may have felt was stripped. She was reminded once again of exactly what she is...a criminal deserving of being inprisoned. However, there was a suggestion in Benry's comment about the next two weeks being difficult for her...Kate has a choice, and I'm sure we won't find out what was proposed to her until a later episode, but it all stemmed from her "slip" of the tongue if you will, in asking about Sawyer's plight first.

Creepy as he is...you have to love Benry and Micheal Emerson's portrayal of that character. Great addition to the cast as well.

All in all...good episode.
Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes. Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet, a choking gall and a preserving sweet. - William Shakespeare...