View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

"The Great Doctor Brown" was directed by the Oscar winning actress Kathy Bates, by the way.

I just loved that final scene with Julia at the table. So sweet, so sad, so Everwood. Yes, I'm cheesy.

I loved Andy having to put up his hand to get a word in edgewise with Mrs. Violet:

Quote:
DR. BROWN: [whispering] I've never been to a parent-teacher thingee. Am I allowed to speak?

DELIA: [whispering] You have to raise your hand.

[He raises his hand just as Miss Violet notices.]

MISS VIOLET: Excuse me, Doctor Brown!
Oh, and Andy's public breakdown, which is still one of the best scenes on the show 87 (?) episodes later:
Quote:
[Dr. Brown drops a quarter in the tank and bends down to watch it drop. Through the glass, he notices Julia standing in the background, watching him. Dr. Brown gets up and smiles, then heads for Julia and kisses her. Brenda just stares at Dr. Brown.]

DR. BROWN: You know it's funny?

JULIA: Hmm.

DR. BROWN: I didn't get the coin in the glass but I still got my wish.

JULIA: You're lucky that way.

[A brief silence ensues.]

JULIA: (CONT'D) Aren't you gonna tell me why I'm here?

DR. BROWN: I wanted to see you. To know that you're more than just a memory. And to tell you that I kept my promise. You didn't keep yours. You promised me you'd be here... in Everwood. But, you're not.

JULIA: I've got bad news for you, Andy, you're gonna be fine.

DR. BROWN: Fine is not great.

JULIA: You've had enough of "Great". It isn't all it's cracked up to be. Fine is real. Now come on... say it.

DR. BROWN: Say what?

JULIA: Goodbye. That's why you wanted to see me, isn't it? To say goodbye.

DR. BROWN: No, no. Not to you. Just to... to this!

JULIA: I understand.

DR. BROWN: You do?

JULIA: Besides, I was never the reason.

DR. BROWN: I don't get it.

JULIA: "He" was, Andy. You came here so you could know "him".

DR. BROWN: Know "who"?

[The camera stops on Dr. Brown's face as he snaps out of it and realizes that half the town is watching his performance including his embarrassed children as well as the Abbott children, Dr. Abbott, Edna, and Irv. Delia walks up to him downtrodden.]
Thanks to Twiztv.com's fantastic transcripts for those quotes, since I have a terrible memory for these kinds of things.

For "Friendly Fire", I loved the real introduction of obnoxious and clueless Andy. I loved Delia trying to find a friend, which was so adorable. And Ephram's reactions to Nina delivering the baby was hilarious stuff.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote