View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM01 (View Post)
Personally I didn't mind Pacey whenever he had nothing to do with Joey. As soon as he got with her and when any of his storylines linked to her, he became un-bear-able. He became this desperate dude around her (so did Dawson) and it felt like he was in the show to serve her purpose rather than have his own arc (at least with Dawson, he still had his own story). Pacey may have progressed in some areas, but overall as a character, he regressed so much.
I completely agree with this. I liked Pacey as Dawson's best friend in Season One and I loved him as Andie's devoted boyfriend in Season Two, but I hated him as Dawson's backstabbing friend in Season Three and Joey's doormat boyfriend in Season Four. Pacey progressed as a person with Andie, and Andie bolstered his confidence in such a way that he was able, for the first time in his life, to put his “slacker” image behind him, and obtain success, both scholastically, and, more important, as a human being. Pacey, in turn, became Andie’s hero, sticking by her as her mental condition deteriorated, acting in a truly noble and mature manner. With Joey, however, he regressed as a person and he became a slacker again, and he almost didn't graduate High School, and he was consumed by jealousy over Joey's feelings for Dawson and he became a miserable person, which led to the blowup in Promicide. I don't know how anyone could view Pacey and Joey's relationship as something positive for Pacey.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy