View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 AM
RM01
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I completely agree with all of this. Pacey and Joey were a completely mismatched couple and their relationship was based on deception, betrayal, and the breach of an unwritten trust among friends, and neither Pacey or Joey were ever able to “exorcise” Dawson Leery’s “ghost” from their relationship.
Excellently put. No matter how hard they tried, they were never able to overcome the massive impact that Dawson had on their relationship. A cloud constantly hanging over their head. I think Pacey tried so hard to deny this and I think because he slowly started realising he was wrong, it made him more resentful because no matter how much he tried, the idea of Dawson and Joey being close was something he couldn't handle. And he knew that Dawson and Joey shared something between each other that they didn't with anybody else and that's probably what made Pacey more angry. That Dawson had something over him that he could never get. That Dawson was able to touch a part of her soul that Pacey never could. Time and time again we see Pacey wanting Joey to love him like she loves Dawson. A specific moment I recall, and I can't remember which episode it was but he said something like can you love me like a soulmate, along the lines of that. He so badly wanted her to transfer that love that she had for Dawson onto him so that he could feel like he was truly loved more than Dawson.

And you're right, Dawson's impact on their relationship was never addressed in the end which makes me think it would never be addressed and since it it's not healthy to keep stuff like that in the background of a relationship, I think the next logical thing that would happen is they would eventually break up because that kind of baggage that isn't addressed is hard to get through especially if one of the parties continues to pursue the friendship with the person that the insecurities are about.

Quote:
We saw Pacey make sneering comments about Dawson to Joey time and time again, and we saw Joey denigrate her relationship with Dawson to assuage Pacey’s never ending insecurities about Joey’s feelings for Dawson, but we’ve never seen them get past their “Dawson” issues, even though he completely stayed out of their relationship.
It goes to show that even by completely staying out of their relationship, look how much of an impact he had on PJ just by his mere existence.

Quote:
We saw Joey tell Pacey time and time again that she was completely over Dawson, but then we saw her react in an extremely jealous way whenever she saw Dawson and Gretchen together, even to the point where she tried to sabotage Dawson and Gretchen’s relationship before it really had a chance to begin, and we then saw Pacey try to sabotage Dawson and Gretchen’s relationship because he saw that it bothered Joey that they were together.

Therefore, from the beginning to the end, Pacey and Joey’s had failure written all over it.
I had no idea they tried to sabotage in Dawson and Gretchen's relationship (since I skipped most of season 4). They really stooped that low, Pacey and Joey lol.