View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 PM
RM01
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubman (View Post)
RMadrid4Life

Amen! Totally agree and good to get another opinion from a newer DJer. I've been Djer from the start in 1998 and a Big James and Katie fan...they were destined to be together in the end..it was written on most finale's and only a fan pull caused it to change in the series finale..It's laughable the last few scenes when she quotes running away from Pacey..that line is a copy out what would be said normally to Dawson!

Kevin Williamson had written originally for D/J to end together and were attending Pacey and Andie's wedding but due to not having much background with Andie since season 4 they decided not as well Paul Stupin and his PJ clan decided they wanted it to end differently..
It's unfortunate that fan pull got in the way of good story telling. The ending we got just doesn't make sense given what was presented to the audience for 6 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubman (View Post)
As a DJer would of been fine with an "alternate" ending on DVD series which they have done before on other shows. Start was with DJ and then last scene should of been with DJ..their connection is like nothing else before! Pacey was always about himself and never had Joey's interests and will never work out. All roads will "ALWAYS" lead back to DJ.

Long time Djer rant over! Most on this board know my feelings. Most of the original clan are gone from this thread/board but still pop-in to see the DJ love exists and see the perspective from new DJers!
I actually see it a little different. I think Pacey genuinely cared about her and it was Joey the one that didn't care as much. I'm not saying she doesn't care about him at all, but when I compare Joey and Andie, Andie cared a lot more for him and his future than Joey ever did.

Which is why I think their relationship would've worked out to be to the detriment to Pacey. Joey was successful, had the boyfriend she wanted, kept the friend that she loved and was overall content with her situation. Pacey on the other hand, leaves his whole life in Capeside for a girl that completely demoralised him in season 4, he decides to go live out her dream in her apartment whilst having previously complained that her success and his lack of it made him feel inferior (which is understandable and I don't think makes him a bad person). There is nothing to indicate that he stopped feeling like this because I don't think it was ever brought up again. You could argue that his inferiority complex is something that could have possible been worked out (perhaps he could've gotten a job or whatever), but his Dawson insecurity would remain so as long as Pacey stayed with Joey.

Knowing all the Dawson and Joey history and the unique connection they share between each other would always be hanging over Pacey. That Dawson has something with Joey that Pacey can't and will never have with her. And there's nothing he can do about that because the fact is Joey has known Dawson longer and has gone through a lot more with him. Pacey can't go back in time and replace Dawson with himself. The only way that Pacey's insecurities would go away is if Dawson wasn't in the picture but Joey wasn't going to give up her friendship with Dawson for any relationship. And she has demonstrated this because whenever there was the slightest chance of losing Dawson for whatever reason, she would get upset or lash out. Some examples: when she broke up with him the first time because she needed to "find herself" but desperately wanted him to stay as her friend, when she came back from the boat trip and needed to make sure he was still her friend, when he was going away for college and she wanted him to stay, whenever any other woman entered his life because she always felt intimidated by it etc. There are countless examples.

Whether it was her relationship with Dawson himself, or Pacey, or Eddie or whoever, Dawson's friendship was always her priority. To put it into perspective, if Pacey had told Joey upon starting their relationship that she was not allowed to see Dawson anymore, we all know that that relationship wouldn’t have lasted a week. Pacey knows the only way to keep her is to accept Dawson in the picture, but so as long as Dawson is in the picture, he will always be insecure, so how will the relationship last if he is in this constant state of insecurity? Well frankly, I don't think it would. So I think eventually, his insecurity would become the cause of the end of PJ. Whether Pacey breaks up with her because he can't handle his insecurities or Joey breaks up with him because she's fed up with his paranoia.

I don't think this is just the case with Pacey but I think any guy that she dates will inevitably develop the 'Dawson insecurities' once they find out he was previously her lover. So it comes down to either choosing the guy and letting go of her friendship with Dawson, or being single and keeping Dawson. Given her reactions whenever there is the slightest risk of losing his friendship, I think it's pretty obvious what her decision would be.

So I think any romantic relationship Joey pursues outside of Dawson can only succeed in the long run without Dawson in the picture but how would it succeed without Dawson in the picture if she is unwilling and will never be willing to give that friendship up? Which leads me to the inevitable answer - it wouldn’t. These two circumstances cannot coexist and I think Joey still failed to realise this even by the end of the series.

So eventually, all roads truly do lead back to him.

Apologies, drifted a little to a different topic