View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM
Penny Lane
Communications Team
Moderator Support Team

The X-Files: Celebrating 20 Years on Fan Forum!

I have felt for the longest time that this is one of the most fun forums on ! Despite the forum first opening in 2000, it has always provided its very enthusiastic fan base a home for 20 years! I think the longevity of the X-Files forum is proof of the fantastic show that The X-Files has been since 1993! The first couple to create the term "shipping", thanks to Mulder and Scully! And monsters of the week, we still can't stop talking about!! The people here are always finding a sense of humour even if the show has its scares! - Leanne

Twenty years on Fan Forum is such an incredible milestone, especially for a show that is no longer on the air! I am so proud to be a part of this celebration and share my love for the show with this thread. I have only been posting on the board since this past summer but it is easily my favorite forum. I instantly encountered a welcoming and kind group of people who have made posting here so much fun. I needed something to keep me busy during lockdown so I started rewatching The X-Files from the beginning and fell in love with the show all over again. I was so excited to find that the board was still open and that is thanks to die-hard fans who want to see it here. I want to thank all of the posters throughout the years who have shown their love to the board. I appreciate the small group of people who come here every day to discuss life and our mutual love for the show. I want to give a special shout-out to my posting buddy, Naomi. Thank you for putting up with my rants about the show, my ten paragraph reviews on an episode, and my obsession over Gillian Anderson. But most of all, thank you for being such a loyal fan of the series, this board would not be the same without you. I love you, girl! Thank you, Leanne, for being such a cool dude, making me laugh all the time, and being a great co mod. You're the best! — Love, Myra

11 seasons, 218 episodes, 2 films, and millions of devoted fans.

Genre: Science Fiction, Drama, Action & Adventure, Horror, Suspense
9/10

The X-Files is a Peabody, Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning American science fiction television series created by Chris Carter, which first aired on September 10, 1993, and ended on May 19, 2002. The series revival aired on January 24, 2016, and ended on March 21, 2018. The series focused on the exploits of FBI Agents Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, John Doggett, and Monica Reyes and their investigations into the paranormal. The show was a hit for the Fox Broadcasting Company network, and its main characters and slogans ("The Truth Is Out There", "Trust No One", "I Want to Believe") became pop culture touchstones. The X-Files is seen as a defining series of the 1990s, coinciding with the era's widespread mistrust of governments, interest in conspiracy theories and spirituality, and the belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life. From genetic mutants and killer insects to a global conspiracy concerning the colonization of Earth by an alien species, this mind-boggling, humorous and occasionally frightening series has been one of the world's most popular sci-fi/drama shows since its humble beginnings in 1993.

In 1997, the episodes "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Small Potatoes" respectively ranked #10 and #72 on "TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time". In 2002, TV Guide ranked the show as the 37th best television show of all time. In 2004 and 2007, TV Guide called The X-Files the second greatest cult television show. In 2007, Time magazine included it on a list of the "100 Best TV Shows of All Time." In 2008, Entertainment Weekly named it Classic Sci-fi and the fourth best TV show in the last 25 years, and in 2009, named it the fourth-best piece of science fiction, in their list of the "20 Greatest Sci-fi TV Shows" in history. Empire magazine ranked The X-Files ninth best TV show in history, further claiming that the best episode was the third season entry "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". In 2012, Entertainment Weekly listed the show at #4 in the "25 Best Cult TV Shows from the Past 25 Years". In 2013, TV Guide included it in its list of the "60 Greatest Dramas of All Time" and ranked it as the #4 sci-fi show and the #25 best series of all time. In 2015, on The Hollywood Reporter's entertainment-industry ranked TV list "Hollywood's 100 Favorite TV Shows", The X-Files appeared at #3. According to The Guardian, MediaDNA research discovered that The X-Files was on top of the list of the most innovative TV brands.

Opened On: October 1, 2000
lollies Becomes Moderator: August 18, 2004
JayDeeMac Becomes Moderator: July 24, 2005
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: June 24, 2006
25K Reached On: September 28, 2006
neel luvs tony Becomes Moderator: February 18, 2007
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: June 20, 2007
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: August 13, 2007
Board Recustomization: October 24, 2007
50k Reached On: November 6, 2007
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: July 6, 2008
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: July 13, 2009
100k Reached On: July 25, 2009
Fan Forum Music Video Awards: June 5, 2010
Standard Avatars: July 19, 2010
*KIA* Becomes Moderator: February 20, 2011
125k Reached On: March 28, 2011
130k Reached On: August 25, 2011
150k Reached On: April 6, 2013
Standard Avatars: August 12, 2013
~MelBelle~ Becomes Moderator: December 22, 2013
Board Recustomization: July 31, 2015
Standard Avatars: October 14, 2015
16 Year Anniversary: October 1, 2016
beloved of the sky Becomes Moderator: April 2, 2017
200k Reached On: May 16, 2017
Standard Avatars: May 12, 2018
Ropetuned Becomes Moderator: May 5, 2019
Board Recistomization: August 18, 2019
Penny Lane Becomes Moderator: September 12, 2020

#17: July 2020

The X-Files predicted this paranoid reality we all live in so skillfully that when it returned for its follow-up seasons in 2016 and 2018, it occasionally seemed as if the show had been lapped by the real world — impressive, considering this is a show in which a major plot point is the alien invasion of Earth. But that prescience, above all else, is what makes returning to The X-Files 25 years after its debut so vital. The show has aged so beautifully (extremely rare for a TV show) because it plays less like an ultracool bit of TV stylishness and more like a mad prophet waving a warning flag to all of us gliding on past it. The world may keep changing. TV may keep changing. Humanity may keep changing. But what's both remarkable and terrifying is how The X-Files keeps loping alongside us, never falling far enough behind for us to dismiss its dire predictions for the end of days.

"One of the greatest cult shows in modern television." — Ian Burrell, The Independent

"A cultural touchstone of the 1990s." — Richard Corliss, Time

"The series has grown from a cult favorite to a television classic." — Hal Boedeker, Orlando Sentinel

"The show had overwhelming influence on television, in front of such shows as The Simpsons." — Evening Herald

"A paean to oddballs, sci-fi fans, conspiracy theorists and Area 51 pilgrims everywhere." — Entertainment Weekly

In the late 1990s, one name was synonymous with a medical doctor-turned-paranormal detective: Dana Scully. Played by actor Gillian Anderson, Dr. Dana Scully made her mark on millions of fans who tuned in every week to watch The X-Files. Scully was one of the first multidimensional female characters in a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) field to be featured on a popular television show, and the first to play a leading role. She is known for her objectivity, skepticism, confidence, and brilliance. In the world of entertainment media, where scientists are often portrayed as white men wearing white coats and working alone in labs, Scully stood out in the 1990s as the only female STEM character in a prominent, prime time television role. Scully's media depiction of a high-achieving woman in STEM asked a generation of girls and women to imagine new professional options, and to study and pursue careers in STEM—a phenomenon known as the "Scully Effect."

To assess the "Scully Effect," researchers conducted an online survey from February 15 to February 20, 2018, using an opt-in sample of 2,021 participants. The study was conducted by 21st Century Fox, the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, and J. Walter Thompson Intelligence, a global firm specializing in data, research, insight, trends and innovation. The sample was demographically representative and weighted to be representative of women in the U.S. population based on age (25 and older), STEM involvement, and viewing of The X-Files. About one-third (29%) of respondents were aged 25 to 39, while the remainder (71%) were aged 40 or older. Roughly half (49%) of the sample studied a STEM field in college, or currently works in STEM. Two-thirds of respondents (68%) had seen at least one episode of The X-Files, which speaks to the show's wide reach.

Women who are medium/heavy watchers of The X-Files hold more positive views of STEM than non/light watchers, and several survey questions link this directly to the influence of Scully's character. Nearly two-thirds (63%) of women who are familiar with Dana Scully say she increased their belief in the importance of STEM. A greater percentage of medium/heavy viewers of The X-Files strongly believe that young women should be encouraged to study STEM than non/light viewers (56% compared to 47%). Medium/heavy viewers are significantly more likely to strongly agree with the statement "I would encourage my daughter/granddaughter to enter a STEM field" than non/light viewers (53% compared to 41%). Medium/heavy viewers are more likely to strongly agree with the statement "If I could go back and do it again, I would have studied or worked in an industry that is STEM" than non/light viewers (27% compared to 17%).

Women who regularly watch The X-Files are more likely to express interest in STEM, major in a STEM field in college, and work in a STEM profession than other women in the sample. Among women who are familiar with Scully's character, half (50%) say Scully increased their interest in STEM. Medium/heavy viewers are 43% more likely than other women to have considered working in a STEM field than non/light viewers (40% compared to 28%). Medium/heavy viewers are 27% more likely to have studied STEM than non/light viewers (28% compared to 22%). Medium/heavy viewers are 50% more likely to have worked in a STEM field than non/light viewers (24% compared to 16%).

Most of the women in the sample consider Dana Scully to be a role model for girls and women, and women who work in STEM are particularly likely to see her this way. Among women who are familiar with Scully's character, 91% say she is a role model for girls and women. Nearly two-thirds (63%) of women that work in STEM say Dana Scully served as their role model. Among women who are familiar with Scully's character, 63% say Scully increased their confidence that they could excel in a male-dominated profession. Nine out of 10 (91%) women who are familiar with Scully's character say she stands out as being a strong female character on television. Women in the sample were asked about various attributes of Scully's character. The most frequently used words to describe her were "smart," "intelligent," and "strong."
(source | video)

(1998) 9.4/10

Scully and Mulder each recount their version of events that led Mulder
to drive a stake through the heart of a Texas teenager he claims was a
vampire.

(click to enlarge)
all things happen
msr 50 | txf 20
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote