View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 07:00 PM
extralucid
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by scherra:
<STRONG>
I would argue that none of the girls on the show should have to find their self-esteem in a guy. They're smart, they're strong, they're well off (it's not as if they're living off the streets), and while they may have their own insecurity issues, who doesn't? Hooking up with boys is not going to provide the answer, however prince of a guy he might be. True emotional maturity for Brooke (or anyone else) would be to realize that she doesn't need a Luke or a Nathan or a Jake to feel good about herself. Sure she could draw strength from a good relationship. But why must it be with a boy? Why not Keith? Karen? Whitey? Haley? The most meaningful relationships in life are not necessarily with boys. And if OTH genuinely wanted to be refreshing, that's the kind of message they might want to consider.</STRONG>
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't think any of the girls are necessarily smart, or strong. I mean - Peyton definitely has her fair share of problems. The only one that comes close to filling this prerequisite is Haley, and, yes, she has a boy.

I wasn't trying to imply that for each girl to find fulfillment in life they need to shack it up with some dude. I was merely trying to say that out of all of the characters, the one that needs to be introduced to some kind of "love" would be Brooke. Up until now she's been under the impression that "love" runs hand in hand with guys and liquor. She needs to be taught that there is more to a relationship than a one-night stand. And for a while there it appeared that Lucas was the man to do that.

But I s'pose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

extralucid is offline   Reply With Quote