View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Talula78
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I think its about social class. I think the show in a way ingrained into viewers that Star's Hollow= Good Hartford Society=Bad. People seem imo to root for Jess for a couple of reasons:

1. The badboy trope in all its glory. He has this sort of Devil without a cause vibe going for him.
2. He is Luke's nephew
3. He isn't rich

But, all of those things are superficial and yes its great that he grew up, but their bond was never that deep. Mostly he was an avenue to kick Dean to the curb.

LBR, they were already pushing Rory to a certain type with the Tristan storyline but that was cut short due to CMM getting OTH.
I agree with all of that And yet she made her way back to Dean because she realized how well he treated her vs. how poorly Jess treated her. There were a lot of biases rooted in stereotypical traits for both guys. I've always maintained that ASP doesn't write men well. She likes to put them in boxes ripe for judgment. I also never saw any depth to the Rory/Jess relationship. Like my previous post said I don't think Jess ever really 'got' Rory.