View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Cryostar
Elite Fan

Review is in!

Here you go:

Wyrms Issue 1

Adapted from best selling author Orson Scott Card's series by Jake Black and illustrated by Adriano Batista with colors by Martin Ho, this tale of intrigue starts off with a startling image that sets the icy tone for the rest of the book.

Meet Patience, a trained assassin, skilled diplomat and savoir of the known world. Set in the distant future on a world seemingly colonized by humans, Patience is the key to a prophecized salvation that she only now becomes aware of. The only problem is, is that usurper king wants her dead, since she's the key to deposing him.

Political intrigue abounds, as well as Religious fervor, as we're thrown into a time where the clamoring powers are on a bring of civil war again, but will it be too late? It's a great story to start off with, giving you some action, and a lot of questions on what has happened. I'm hoping we get some back drop on how humans got where they are, and a bit more about this ancient prophecy from the Starship. It's a great pick up for all the sci-fi enthusiasts, especially if you liked books like C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy.

On the rating scale, I'd give this a 6 with the potential to get better. Much like with C.S. Friedman's Black Sun Rising, I see the potential of a great story starting to unfold, but the great issues probably won't be until a few more issues in, when the story really starts to heat up like it did in When True Night Falls. As usual, DBPro has me waiting to see how it's going to unfold. The art is fairly good with deep colors enriching the pencils and lending depth to the wonderful adaptation that's been provided for us.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote