View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:21 PM
break the window
Fan Forum Hero

Hey all, really short story, hope you like it. Id idn't really have a title for it, so I just went with a theme. I hope you like it

Finding Our Way Back Home

“Santa was fun, wasn’t he?”
“He was so much fun, mom. I can’t believe he knew my name.”
“Well, Santa is pretty special.”
“Can we go see him again?”
“Maybe, if we have time. Right now, we have to go. I promised grandma and grandpa we’d get them a Christmas gift from New York City!”
“Why is New York so special, I think Everwood is kind of special, too.”
“Yeah, Everwood is special and it’s our home. New York just has life and Christmas and so many magical things during the holidays that grandma and grandpa want in Everwood, too?”
“Did dad ever like Christmas?”
“Oh, your dad…”

Amy never wanted to shy away from answering questions regarding Noah’s father, Peter. She just never thought there would be a time she would have to tell her child about their father who would always be in the past tense. But he was.

[FLASHBACK]
Peter was an amazing man to everyone he came in contact with. Amy was sure that when he came to Everwood, he made the place just a little bit brighter and no, it wasn’t because the mayor finally installed new street lamps around town. She and Peter met and it was an instant attraction, they both fell for each other quickly. Peter arrived in Everwood around Spring, a day trip he was taking when taking a leave from Fort Carson. It was a story for the storybooks. He took one look at Amy and knew he had found his soulmate. They started dating and everyone around them knew, they were going to be Everwood’s newest love story. But some love stories don’t have a happy ending.

The snow had blanketed the entire town that day, almost making sure there was complete silence when an out-of-town Army Captain paid a visit to Mrs. Amy Jenkins that day. The screams coming from Amy’s house are still a sound that made you feel chill bumps. Peter had died in an explosion. There were no other witnesses, however, his battalion officer stated that he was always the last to report in. Making sure everything was safe. On a random detail, Peter had stepped onto an IUD that had exploded immediately, killing him instantly. Amy felt a little, tiny bit of relief knowing her her husband had not suffered and probably never realized what happened the moment he left this world.

For months, Amy walked around, not looking at anyone. Not that she couldn’t force a smile, she just didn’t want to see others force a smile in her direction. She didn’t want them to pity her, seeing a young widow, broken and barely holding on. The times she did manage to leave the house, its as a few moments at a time. She actually hired some local kids in the community to go to the market for her several times a week to pick up some groceries. People eventually got used to Amy not coming out and started sending her letters and emails in way of communicating knowing they would not get a chance to see her face-to-face.

The only thing that bought Amy out of her darkness was Noah. She knows he is the only part of Peter she will ever have left. The morning she found out she was pregnant, she thought it was some cruel joke by the doctors. Her and Peter had always wanted children and tried for several months and days up until he was deployed. Ever since they talked about having children, Amy had a planned everything out of how she was going to tell Peter they were going to have a baby. Why is this happening now? She would think to herself. Why do I have to do this alone she would think all the time as she saw her stomach grow. It wasn’t up until she was three months along that Amy knew it was time to see a doctor. She had shared the news with parents and of course brother and sister-in-law, but no one else in town knew. So imagine he surprise when Amy would make a rare appearance in town, pregnant and her husband having passed and not been home in months. The gossip mill with the Everwoodians was swirling around. Then in Rose Abbott’s fashion, to protect her daughter, and also being the former mayor and putting the end to the gossip, stood on a booth and told everyone to Mind your own small town business. So my daughter is pregnant, and yes, Peter Jenkins is the father. So you go on, eat your breakfast and if you have questions, you may ask me personally…don’t go thinking things that shouldn’t be thought about. We are a town that helps one another, not label them about what we might think is going on.. After that, Amy seemed to be able to breathe a little better when going around town. It seemed that maybe Rose had not only opened up the minds of the fellow Everwoodians, but also opened up Amy’s mind and heart to accept her new life.

Before Amy knew it, she was holding Noah in her arms. She so badly wanted to put on a spell to somehow make Peter appear and be able to see their son. But instead, Amy sighed heavily, holding her newborn’s tiny hand in hers. It’s just you an me.
[/FLASHBACK]

“Your dad was the greatest, the best dad ever! He loved Christmas just as much as you do…well, if not more actually.”
“Not possible!’
“Oh, it’s possIBLE!” She smiled at her son, noticing Noah fixes his eyes the same way Peter used to when he talked about Christmas. Amy was feeling the snow starting to get hard and slippery against her shoes, the day was winding down and the weather was starting to making everything freeze. “Hey, let’s get a cab, it’s getting cold out.” She went to reach for the cab door and realized a man opening the door on the other side of the van. “Excuse me, this is our cab.”
Ephram looked up at her. “Out of all the cabs in New York City…”
“Ephram Brown?” Amy blinked a few times to make sure she wasn’t dreaming. “How is this possible, I never thought I’d run into you!”
The cabbie in a strong New York accent got out of his car. “Are you two love birds going to get int he cab or what?”
“We can share?”
“Okay.” Amy nodded for Ben to climb in and sat opposite of the two fo them. “This is greatest cab I’ve ever been in.”
“It’s the only cab you’ve ever been in.” Amy laughed at her son.
“Still, it’s the greatest.” Noah looked at Ephram. “Who are you…well, besides being a guy named Ephram Brown.”
“Yep, I’m Ephram and you must be Noah.”
“Yes.” Amy interjected. “Noah, this is my friend from Everwood, Ephram, this is my son, Noah Jenkins.”
“Nice to meet you.” Ephram nodded in the boy’s direction.
“We’re here visiting, seeing Santa.”
“It was the greatest ever!”
“The greatest…ever!? That’s really tough to beat with all the other things to do in New York.”
“We’ve seen the Empire state building., I’m still bummed about not going to the park.”
“Wait, you have not taken your son to Central Park?”
Amy blushed, not sure why she was so taken by Ephram after all these years. “Well with all the snow and the ice and it just seemed too much. I think they were closing it down or something.”
“Central Park never closes.”
Noah nodded, pointing to Ephram while looking at his mother. “See, told you.”
“Okay, so I was wrong!”
“I can take you there.”
“No, really, it was closing or closed.”
“It’s never closed.”
“Okay, it never closes.” Amy finally agreed with Ephram for the sake of Noah and the cab ride, but knowing she was right.
Ephram spoke to the driver. “Sir, can you take us to Central Park West.”
“Sure thing, boss.” The cabbie said when moving into another lane.
“Ephram, it’s out of your way, you don’t have to do this.”
“I think it’s out of your way, that’s my apartment, it just happens to be at Central Park.”
“Oh.”

~*~

“And you’re going to hold this against me for the rest of our lives.”
“I just might.”

They were now at Ephram’s apartment on Central Park West. Amy was right and the park had been closed down temporarily to asses the movability around the park with the falling snow. Once Ephram said he had Netflix, Noah was sold and they picked up a pizza on the way.

“He seems like a really good kid.” Ephram sat beside Amy at the island watching Noah on the couch watching television.
“He’s great, I got really lucky.”
“You can tell me to back off, but where’s Noah’s dad? I probably shouldn’t ask, and you don’t have to answer-“
“Noah’s dad, Peter…um….he died.”
“Amy, why didn’t you tell me, I would’ve been there.”
“I didn’t want to see anybody or speak to anyone. I basically became a recluse.”
“What changed?”
Amy nodded towards Noah. “He did. When I found out I was pregnant, that got me out of the fog. I realized it’s the only piece of Peter I’ll ever have left and I need to take care of it, meaning I needed to start taking care of myself.”
“How’d it happen?”
“Well, Peter was stationed overseas and he was in a war zone or something and stepped on an IUD. They…the man at my front door…told me that Peter was killed instantly. So, I hold on to the hope that he didn’t know what happened and didn’t feel anything.”
“I…um…wow. I wish I had something to say…but does Noah know?”
“Noah never met his father and Peter never got to meet his son. I found out I was pregnant after Peter had died.” Amy brushed the hair hanging in her face. “Seems stupid now, I planned this whole thing when we talked about kids of how I was going to tell him we were going to have a baby.”
“It’s not stupid, it’s incredibly sweet.”
“Amy wiped her face dry. So, what’s going on with you? You’re obviously doing well…I mean, Central Park.”
“The company pays for the apartment, I just pay for everything else…which isn’t much considering most of my meals are at the studio.”
“Studio?”
“Yeah, I’m helping artists record music that need a piano in the background. My dad or Deliah didn’t tell you any of this?”
“If they did I didn’t really remember it. I was too busy either being married to Peter or mourning Peter…either way, didn’t leave room for much else.”
“Besides Central Park being closed, how is Noah enjoying New York.”
“He loves it, I think he’s more at home here than he is in Everwood. That’ll probably all change when he gets back home and realizes how much he’s missed it there too.”
“I think you might be staying a while.” Ephram nodded to a sleeping Noah on the couch.
“My gosh, I’m so sorry about this, he never falls asleep anywhere. It’s like I have to an ambien to get him to sleep.” Amy looked back at Ephram. “Totally kidding.”
“Yeah, I got that.” He smiled. “He can stay here. The snow is coming down pretty hard and probably won’t let up until morning.”
“Ephram, we can’t stay here. You probably only have one bedroom and I have a hotel to stay in.”
“Not really seeing you being able to get back to a hotel tonight. Seriously, plenty of room, three bedrooms.”
“I guess we can stay a little while…or until he wakes up.”

Smoothly, Ephram scooped Noah up into his arms, and placed him on the bed in the spare bedroom.

~*~

“And now this is the point where you can tell me to back off.” Her and Ephram sat down on the couch. “Three bedrooms for just you?”
“There was someone.” Ephram fell silent before continuing. “Her name was Stephanie. She worked at one of the Broadway theaters when I met her. I went to a showing that had some of my music playing in the background and Stephanie was there, singing her little heart out.”
“That’s really sweet. Did you two date long.”
“Yeah, enough for me to want to have a three bedroom, oversized apartment, yeah. But as soon as it was time to really move in and go to the next step, Stephanie decided it was time to have a new direction.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry.” Amy swallowed. “You don’t still see her, do you?”
“No, thankfully Broadway just isn’t for New Yorkers. She’s an actress out in Los Angeles now and doing well I’ve heard. So no, there’s awkward run-ins with exes…besides today.” He smiled mischievously at her.”
“Awkward? How was it awkward?”
“I’m just your friend now?”
“What was I supposed to say to my son who has never heard of you.”
“That I was an old boyfriend…the guy I used to date.”
“Okay, I get it…”
“The Guy I used to have great sex with…” Ephram trailed off..
“Okay, fine.” She laughed out loud, covering her mouth, hoping Noah doesn’t wake up before he’s ready to. She settled herself, then looked at him. “We were really great.”
“Yeah, we were.”
“But then the adult thing happened.”
“Yeah, the adult thing.” Ephram chuckled. “I feel like we never said goodbye though.”
“Yeah…I think we did. I found the letter.”
“I wanted to tell you in person and not some letter that basically makes me a chicken through it all.”
“It was nice, I’m glad you took the time to say what you wanted to say. I could feel that you meant it.”
Ephram cleared his throat. “I miss you.” He lifted his gaze up to hers to see a reaction. 
“Ephram….”
“I know you were meant to meet Peter and have an amazing son and this amazing life in Everwood, but I always told myself that if I ever got to see you again, I’d tell you that I never stopped loving you and I don’t want to love anyone else because it will never amount to the way I loved you."
“What about Stephanie? I know it didn’t work out between you two but you moved on.”
“I think that’s why she left. I wouldn’t allow myself to really connect with her, not the way I can connect with you.”
Amy uncrossed her legs and grabbed her jacket. “I’m gonna get Noah and I think we need to be leaving.”
“I’m sorry if I overwhelmed you.”
“Overwhelmed me, Ephram? How dare you say these things to me? It’s been years, a while since my husband died, but damnit, he was my husband. The only way I am surviving most days is because of that little boy in there. Then you tell me you’ve always loved me? Part of me wants to take that and pretend that I can stay here and build a life for Noah and me. I can’t do that. I just can’t throw my feelings around like nothing back home matters. I’m happy you’re doing well, and…well, I just can’t think right now, I have to go.”
“Amy, please…” She slapped him across the face.
She wanted to explain herself, but couldn’t. All Amy felt like she could do was grab Noah and leave Ephram’s apartment.

~*~

“Can we go see Ephram today?” Noah asked after getting dressed.
“No, um, I think we might have to leave today. I have some work at home to get done. It’s something I forgot about.”
“But you said we could stay two more days.”
“I know I did, but, honey, we can’t. New York is great, but it’s not home.”
“Is this because you had a fight with that man…Ephram?”
“Wait, what are you talking about?”
“I heard some loud noises and voices. Things were loud and it all stopped when you came to get me.”
I can never lie to my son Amy repeats to herself. “Honey, Ephram and I have a complicated history that just can’t be discussed or even put back together in one afternoon.”
“But you always tell me it’s not good to leave things unresolved.”
Amy was crying at how aware her son has become. “When did I say that?”
“I don’t know, but you say it a lot.”
“Well, it’s a very good thing to do.”
“Are things with Ephram resolved?”
Amy looked down at her vibrating cell phone to see Ephram’s picture appear on the incoming call screen. She sent the call to voicemail. “No, honey, I don’t think they are.”

Amy wrote Ephram a text.

We’re leaving today, I’m sorry

She turned the screen off and toast he phone in her duffle bag.

~*~

“Noah sure did love New York, it’s all he talked back when he was over the other day.”
“Yeah, the snow was gorgeous. Kind of like a perfect day in Hew York. “
“He also told me about a nice guy you two met along the way. Ephram?”
“Yeah, turns out we were destined to share a cab up to Central Park.”
“You three spent the day in Central Park?”
“Turns out his apartment is right across the street.”
“Seems like Ephram is doing okay then, pretty nice area.”
“It’s all company owned I think. It’s really nice though.”
“What aren’t you saying Amy?”
“I’m saying what you’re asking me.”
“When I mentioned Ephram’s name, I didn’t want to know where he lives, I want to know how it made you feel to see him again.”
“Too many feelings to count. I mean I married Peter, I’m always going to love Peter…it’s just if I still say I love Ephram does it mean that I never loved Peter?”
“No, it doesn’t. Honestly, and I don’t mean to discount Peter in any way, but I never felt the connection with Peter as I do when you talk about Ephram.”
“Mom, we were kids and it was so long ago?”
“Considering all you went through together in your won separate lives, I don’t consider you two kids. Ephram had to grow up quickly for Deliah after Julia died and Andy uprooted them to Everwood. Then Joseph pretty much dragging Ephram back to New York with him to have a piece of Julia. You can relate to that. And we all know what happened with Colin wasn’t easy. So no, I don’t see you two as kids in a relationship. You two had something…and you still do.”
“You make it sound easy like I can just tell Ephram I love him and we live happily ever after.”
“Maybe, but I’m just an old woman, what do I know?”
The doorbell rang, Amy found herself covered in cookie dough. “Mom, doorbell!”
“I’m upstairs, can you get it.”
“Figures, I’m covered in cookie dough and running through the house to answer the door to….Ephram?”

There he stood, hands behind his back, looking like the day he came back from Europe.

“Cookie dough?”
“Mom wanted to make some cookies…and why are you here? You live in New York.”
“And you live here and my family lives here.”
“So you came to visit?”
“Kinda.”
“Ephram stop with th-“

The kiss was more than magical. Amy hadn’t felt this way when a man kissed since the last time Ephram kissed her. When they finally broke apart, their breathing was labored.

“Tell me that meant nothing and I’ll leave, get back on a plane, go back to New York and you’ll never see me again.”
“Ephram, one kiss-.”

He kissed her again, rubbing his thumb against her cheek, just how he used to.

“Okay, two kisses…” She saw Ephram’s gesture and backed away. “No more kissing, I get your point.”
“i’m sorry the way I ambushed you back in New York, I didn’t mean to. I just never thought I would get the opportunity to get to tell you how I felt.”
“Ephram, I just can’t run off to New York, I have a son.”
“Come with me.”

Amy looked at her apron and hands.

“Cookie dough!? Hello! Crap, it is beyond freezing out here. Ephram Brown, what are we doing..and why are you…”

They looked at the sold sign on the old Brackerton house that thad been on the market less than a day.

“What is all about, Ephram?”

“Turns out, with the world of technology, you can record on a piano anywhere and email it.”
“Yes, welcome to two-thousand-and-nine, Ephram, still doesn’t explain.”

Ephram led Amy up to the front of the house, and walked inside. She was honestly just glad to be inside away from the wintry weather. He placed a gold house key in her hand and folded her hand into his two hands.

“Build a life with me, you and Noah. I’m not saying forget Peter or everything that’s happened in our lives. If you want to just be friends, I’m okay with that, just as long as I can be close to you.”
“But I have Noah….and Peter died and I just can’t let myself fall for anyone because they, it is a nice house. But I can’t just uproot everything.”

Ephram kissed her, just like the way he used to.

“I’ll wait. No matter how long it takes.”
“Might be a long time, I mean, I still a work in progress.”
“Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.”

[/END]
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote