View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 01:06 AM
break the window
Fan Forum Hero

This story, very short story ...that brings a lot of Everwood to this story. I'm dedicating this story and my future stories to Alan. His passion for Everwood and comic books and damn near everything is why I wanted to put something out that showed truth and passion. A lot of scary real life stuff is going on in the world right now, so I hope you enjoy this little tidbit of a story and be able to put wear a smile...even if it's for a short period of time.

I'm still working on a really long...well, you know...novel of sorts that is really Ephram/Amy based and I just love the heck out of this story and I wanna do it right for so many reasons that go beyond Everwood. It's called "The Outsider" and it's like 20 some pages so far and I'm nowhere near done with it yet. Hopefully that'll be out soon.

This story below is called The Ring. It has Ephram and Amy, of course, also some really good Bright/Hannah moments too. Hope you enjoy

Again, the spoiler tag is put in there for the love scene. Some like to read the love scenes, some like to not. It's racy for network TV. So, click if you like, it doesn't take anything away from the story if you don't

____

The Ring

“Ephram, you didn't pack any warm clothes. It's going to be freezing up there.”
“It’s in the other bag.” He called out from the bathroom.

Amy could hear him shaking the razor on the edge of the sink. She did interrupt him accidentally shaving and still, to this day, she remembers how scared she was while Ephram still gets a laugh about it. Amy finds herself smiling at that too. All their moments, the good ones and the not-so-good ones make Ephram and Amy…Ephram and Amy. Although she may not admit it, Amy wouldn’t change a single thing. Madison. Okay, she may change one thing.

“All good?” Ephram asked for Amy to make sure he is clean shaven.
“Very handsome.” She kissed him on the mouth. “Now grab your shaving kit before you forget it and we walk out without it.”
“It’s only the weekend, I don’t think I’m going to become that grizzly in a couple days." He then remembered a few years ago they went for a weekend in Denver and got snowed in. For a week he was scratching his face for the amount of facial hair he had accumulated. “Never mind that thought, it’s going in the bag.”
“I think that’s everything.” Amy looked around the room and then she heard the front door open downstairs. “Oh, that must be Bright and Hannah.”
“I’ll go help them load the car…” Ephram said when struggling with the zipper. “And you help this do what it needs to do.”
“Okay.” She had a light laugh. This was their ritual. Ephram struggles with the suitcase and gives in for Amy’s help and she has it zipped and ready to go in two seconds. This time she was having the same trouble he was. “What is stuck…” She felt around and felt the sweater material that was caught on the zipper. “There, now that’s b…” Then her fingers felt an odd shaped object in the box. Making sure neither of them were grabbing non-essential items, she unzipped the back and saw the little blue velvet box. She stared at it, knowing exactly what the box had inside, but she dare not open it.

Ephram walked back into their bedroom with Amy facing him, holding the tiny box in her hand.

“Ephram…I know what this is…and I know in every tv show it’s this ‘what is this’ comment, so cutting out the middle question.”
“Um…” He cleared his throat and coughed, went silent and then spoke. “Bright.”
“Bright, what does Bright have to do with this?”
“Bright…he is going to ask Hannah to marry him.”

Ephram’s stomach dropped when he saw Amy’s face fall. They’d talked about marriage but not in a serious, let’s buy a house kind of way, although they had been living together for what any relationship to consider marriage as the next step. But, it was always more talking about in the far, far future. He grabbed the suitcase off the bed and didn’t look at Amy as he carried it out the room. This is going to be a long weekend he thought.

~*~

The foursome stopped at a gas station about an hour away from the cabin site. Everyone had been silent, mostly Amy sleeping on a pillow Ephram made sure to pack for her since car rides make her drowsy. Off an on, Amy would wake up and look at her brother and then look at Hannah. Sure they had been dating for a long time, not as long as her and Ephram, but a long time to consider marriage. But is Bright really ready to be a husband? Is Hannah really ready to be a wife and eventually a mother. Sure, they daydreamed about in high school, but for it actually be happening now…Amy’s brain started to hurt with the thought of the two of them settling down. Most of all, it was starting to break her heart to know that her brother knows when to ask the woman he loves to marry him but unfortunately her boyfriend hasn’t figured that out yet.

“Hey, gotta use the bathroom?” Hannah nudged Amy who started to moan and open her eyes. “We’re about ready to get out of here…wherever here is.”
“How long until we get to the cabin?” Amy asked in a raspy voice.
“Hey, long long until we get there captain?” Hannah called out.
Bright checked his map on his phone. “Two hours, give or take traffic. Gotta pee? Do it now…no side trips.”
And this man is ready to get married? Amy thought and then looked at Hannah who smiled at his words. Bright obviously has something Hannah likes that he doesn’t let anyone else know exists. Amy’s thoughts kept pouring in of how she couldn’t see her brother and Hannah be ready to start their lives together.

Amy got out slowly, stretched her legs and walked towards the public restrooms. She wrapped her arms around her waist, feeling the cold air going through her body. Amy was glad she packed the sweaters and got excited for all the bonfires and nature walking the four of them will do. Then her brain wrapped around the ring Ephram had in his suitcase he was holding for Bright…then her stomach started to feel queasy again.

Bright nudged Ephram. “What’s with Amy?”
“What do you mean? Amy’s fine, she just hates the cold weather.”
“It’s more than that” Bright gave Ephram a look “No, seriously, what’s going on with my sister.”
Ephram turned his phone off, looking at his friend, whispering. “She found the ring.”

They both glanced at Hannah for a second who was busying herself in journal writing.

“Oh crap, how’d she react.”
“There’s not enough of a hole in the world that would make her fall any lower. I wanted to cry for her.”
“She cried?”
“No, but she might as well have. So badly I wanted to propose to her right there with the ring I had to tell her was for you and…” Ephram nodded his head towards Hannah.
“Ouch.” Bright put his seat belt on and turned the key in the ignition as soon as he saw Amy exiting the convenience store.

Hannah put her journal away, ready to see where the journey took them next and all the pretty fall scenery she would get to see. Ephram looked back at Amy who simply placed the pillow under her head, against the window and went back to sleep.

~*~

Amy woke up when she felt the vehicle come to a huge stop. Looking around, she saw the cabin and smiled.

“I didn’t know it was this cabin.” She said aloud when opening the door.
“Still looks the same, doesn’t it?” Ephram said when he saw Amy stand beside him.
“Why didn’t you say it was our cabin?”
Our cabin?” He gave her an inquisitive look.
“Well, the cabin where we…”
Ephram smiled down at her blush colored face and whispered, “Yeah, the cabin where we made love for the first time.”
Amy rolled her eyes in embarrassment, looking back at Hannah and Bright to make sure no one heard what Ephram just said. “I wonder if the room is still the same as it was. I think my parents have rented this place out from time to time.”
“Bright and I checked this place out a few weeks ago to make sure everything was okay to stay for the weekend.” He kissed the side of her head. “And yes our room is still the same…I checked.”
“Wait, Bright doesn’t know about…”
Ephram shrugged, watching Bright and Hannah starting to collect some of the bags from the trunk. “Nah, Bright has no idea this was the place I gave you you first orgasm.”
Amy gasped and playfully shoved him. “Ephram Andrew Brown…”
Hannah smiled at the two of them. “Uh oh, must be trouble in paradise…all three names have been spoken.”
“Yep, that’s how half of County High knows all three of my names.”
“Well, that and given it’s a small town and you’re named after one of the town doctors.”

Ephram truly wanted to see how Amy would react to his suggest words. She had been in a funk ever since she found the ring in his luggage. He saw her smile for the first time all day, maybe the weekend wouldn’t be as long as he thought.

~*~

The night was magical. The snow had started to fall and the area was expecting seven or so inches by dawn. The only thing illuminating the downstairs was the fireplace as Hannah was reading Little Fires Everywhere on her Kindle and Bright was passed out asleep with a throw pillow clutched to his chest. She’d look over at him, smiling, feeling how her life, right now, if it were to be just like this, she wouldn’t ever have to worry about any sad days.

Upstairs, Amy and Ephram were enjoying each other’s company in a different way.

Spoiler:

Amy snuggled up to Ephram as she felt the temperature in the room dropping. He wrapped his arm around, pulling her close.

“I can grab a shirt out of the bag if you like.” Ephram mentioned since he knew she was still naked from their love making.
“No, I just want to.” She kissed his shoulder. “be close to you…that’s enough for me.”

~*~

Amy half way woke up and felt the other side of the bed, which was empty and cold. She rose up, making sure to cover her bare chest with a sheet. Ephram had come back into the room, closing the door quietly. He had put on his white t-shirt and long pajama bottoms on and was starting to feel the chill. He didn’t have the heart to wake Amy and went to adjust the thermostat.

“The temperature dropped like ten degrees in the last hour and with the snow still falling…” Ephram looked out the window to see the near blizzard conditions covering the nearby cabins. “It’s going to get even colder.” He smiled at Amy covering up herself with a sheet. “As much as I love to see you naked, would you like me to grab you some pajamas.”
“No, that’s okay, I’ll get it.” Amy quickly ran over to the half open suitcase and grabbed her purple pajamas and underwear and quickly dressed. “Yeah, that is better.” She saw Ephram laughing and trying not to. “What’s so funny.”
“You…you getting dressed at record speed in a dark room.”
“I didn’t want to show everything.”
“Amy, we just spent hours making love and you’re worried about me seeing you naked?” He let out a laugh. “I cannot help but laugh at the irony.”
“Ha…ha! I know it’s silly, but it just makes sense to me.”
“As long as you’re happy, I’m happy.”
She looked up at him, only he outside cloudiness lighting up her face. “Are you happy…we me, I mean?”

He got back into bed slowly, pondering how to answer the question and more importantly, why he thinks Amy feels the need to ask that question.

“I don’t know how to answer that.”
“You don’t know how to answer if you’re happy…well that answers it right there.”
“Amy!” He raised his voice, filling the room and she stopped, her back still turned to him. “I don’t know how to answer that question because I don’t know why you feel you need to ask me that question.”
“You love me enough to make me feel special, to make me feel beautiful and to make love to me…” She looked up at him, tears surrounding her eyes. “But not enough to make me your wife.”

Ephram knew Amy was angry. He could only assume she was a little upset earlier, now, he knew she was mad. “Damnit!” He shouted wanting to kick something and then stumbled realizing he was still barefoot. It was best to let things calm down, Ephram knew Amy needed time.

A few minutes later, Bright came up the steps, knocking on the bedroom door.

“Everything okay…Amy just stormed outside…well, then she came back inside because it’s freezing and is on the indoor patio. What happened.”
He stared out and then to his best friend, feeling emotions he never felt before. “I think I really screwed this up.”
“Was this about this morning.”
“What else could it be about?” Ephram snapped and held his hands up in defense. “I’m sorry…I had it all and I think I could actually lose her this time.”
“You two always figure it out, no matter what. I’ve never seen two people who love each other more and are willing to fight for it.”
“She has every right to doubt every move I make at this point.”
“She’s still here…you haven’t lost her.”
Ephram had a sniffle and nodded. “Yet.”

~*~

The next night, the bonfire was raging and the firewood logs were crackling away. Amy kept starring at the flames. She just kept looking around, trying to find Ephram and kept landing her gaze on Bright and Hannah who seemed to be in each other’s world. This was their last night here and all Amy could think of was getting back home and looking for apartments. What if Ephram really didn’t want to get married? His own parent’s relationship was riddled with Julia’s affair and Andy’s constant absentee status. Was that what he expected out of life…was only being Amy’s boyfriend and Amy being his girlfriend enough.

She was startled by Ephram kissing her cheek and grabbing her hand in his.

“What are you doing?”
“Come with me.” He smiled.

Amy saw a little twinkle in his eye and wasn’t sure if it meant he was up to something or he had been crying as much as she had been. She gave Hannah a look who nodded to take Ephram up on his offer.

“Where are we going…where are you taking me.”
He knelt down. “Do you trust me?”
“Yeah, of course I do.” She replied quickly.
“Then come with me.” He placed a kiss on her lips and took her hand and guided her back to the house.

They were walking at a pace that allowed Amy to relive the events of the previous evening, smiling when remembering love making but also having a huge pain in her chest from the fight afterwards. She was so confused until she looked up and saw candles in their bedroom.

“You did all of this?”
He leaned in, held her face in his hands and kissed her. “I love you. Please, always know that I will never stop loving you.

Amy nodded, feeling the tears come. She wanted to hide her face so he wouldn’t see her cry but to her surprise, he lifted her chin with his two forefingers. He kissed a tear sliding down her cheek.

“You’re always beautiful to me, don’t ever hide that.”
“I’m sorry about last night, I…”
“Shhh…” He whispered kissing her lips, “let’s not think about that.”

They walked in, the candles filling the room with light and warmth at the same time.

Ephram led Amy to the edge of the bed, having her sit before him.

“I have a confession to make.” He backed away, Amy felt her heart beating faster as he walked towards the suitcase. “I lied to you the other day.”
“Ephram, what is this about…you’ve never lied to me.” Amy couldn’t help but feel nervous at Ephram’s words.
“My dad says little white lies don’t count…but…a little white lie turned into something else.”

Amy was amused by the conversation turning from a confession to something Andy Brown would say. She loved Ephram for his randomness. She didn’t know what to say or think when looking up to see Ephram holding the same blue velvet box.

“Oh…it’s the box.” Her spirit fell a little bit.
“Amy…this box…it holds something very special. It’s actually for you.”

Amy never wanted to jump to conclusions and definitely felt herself doing that this entire weekend. She just wanted to sit here, enjoying the moment, feeling the love Ephram has for her in their room.

Ephram sighed as he knelt down on both knees in front of her, holding both of her hands in his left hand as he held the box in his right.

“In this very room, many…many moons ago, you gave me a very special gift…you gave me you. We made love that night and I never…ever want to experience that moment with anyone else. No matter what happens in our lives, no matter what the future holds, I will always know that it will the best life we can possibly have because we will be together.” Ephram exhaled the breath he was holding and Amy did so as well, not realizing she stopped breathing for a second. “Yes, Amy Nicole Abbott, I am asking you to be my wife because I need you in my life and I want to be your husband and you are the only woman in the world I want to have children with.” Ephram took his eyes away from Amy’s to open up the ring box and heard her gasp. Julia’s ring fit Amy’s finger perfectly, as if it was designed to do so. “Amy…Nicole…Abbott, will you marry me.”
She started nodding quickly and saw that Ephram wasn’t moving. “Yes, oh my God, yes…”

~*~

“SHE SAID YES!”

Hannah was putting out the fire when she heard Ephram’s voice shouting from the balcony of their cabin.

“I’m guessing someone said yes to a certain question.” She turned around, Bright’s chair was empty and she looked over to see him standing, holding a blue velvet box.
He sighed. “I’m hoping that someone else will say yes to a certain question, too.”

Hannah could feel herself shaking as Bright knelt down, holding her hand.

Bright continued. “I love you, I’ve been in love with you ever since we made…ketchup children at that little restaurant.”

She let the tears fall when remembering their Ketchup children.

“You loved me for who I was in despite of who I was. You saw me when I didn’t want to be found…and you stayed with me when I still wasn’t the man you needed me to be. You make me want to be a better man and I am asking you, with my whole heart, to let me prove to you that I can always be the man you need me to be.” He opened up the box, showing her the emerald green and yellow diamond he designed specially for her ring finger. “Hannah Rogers…will you marry me?”
“Yes, yes…absolutely yes!”

[/THE END]
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 07-16-2020 at 10:18 AM
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote