View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 11:27 AM
straws
Absolute Fan

Quote:
One might argue that if the plot hadn't gone in the direction it did, it, giving them an infant and Angel serious competition, the two most common couple creating cliches might have been a suddenly somewhat forced effort to move them forward.
Idk, I feel like they were already there where there feelings were concerned even before Darla showed up pregnant - they just hadn't realized it yet. But I didn't need baby Connor or Groo to 'convince' me to ship them. I'd already fallen for their amazing 2 season + build up.

Quote:
That trip is some of the strongest ammo in the BA fans' arsenal as it is.
Is it really? I feel like I would not appreciate 'Heartthrob' at all if I was a hardcore BAer.

Yeah, he took a couple months to grieve, but he recovered from Buffy's death in a way he never recovered from Cordy's.

Quote:
James: "*You* loved someone - with all your heart."

Angel: "Yeah."

James: "No you didn't. - Because if you had you wouldn't be standing here playing games with me. You wouldn't be able to - because once she died or some bastard killed her, it would have killed everything in you."
Ironically, I do feel like 'the fight' goes out of Angel after losing Cordy, and that we never 100% get him back. As we spoke about before, even his great last stand feels partly like a suicide mission.

Quote:
You mean that to have had Angel behave appropriately and refrained from romantic involvement with a teenage girl would have been too much of his perspective which would have inappropriately eclipsed her as the show's lead?
I think that fact that it was a teen vampire show - with a main character who was a 16 year old girl, did lend itself to her love interest being a vampire, yes. It's a popular trope in media (TVD, Twilight, etc...). Iirc, Joss didn't originally want his vampires to be 'sexy' or love interests, but Angel and BA took off like a rocket in popularity with fans.

There's no way for a human/vampire relationship to not veer into uncomfortable territory. Even if Buffy dated a 16 year old vamp who was only just turned, she'd keep aging and he would not, and that'd get creepy quick.

Quote:
I guess I get that on some level but I ultimately disagree with this being acceptable logic for statutory rape.
I'm not defending statutory rape. I would never ever excuse an adult having a relationship with a child in real life. Hell no.

Also, the BA age difference does, and always will, make me uncomfortable. Hence the cognitive dissonance.

I'm just saying, for me, that fact that it is fiction + the supernatural elements is what stops me from canceling Angel altogether. I can separate reality and fiction.

Just wondering, how do you reconcile being a huge Angel fan with the fact that he is a statutory rapist?

Are we still watching Dead End tonight?

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com