View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 04:22 PM
WeBuiltThePyramids
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
We could have a thread to discuss their relationship? This could include how we think they may have been able to move forward in Season 5 and beyond. I don't think it would be all hate!
I feel like there just isn't enough. At least when it comes to me, I know that anything I have in my head for them is either in fanfic I've written or fanfic I've read, so in that sense it would almost belong in this thread. And the little canon we did get, we could talk about that in either the Florence thread or the Paige one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I can see Paige and Florence eventually becoming good friends. Unlike Happy, I think Florence craves friendship, but doesn't know how to go about it.
And Paige craves connection with people who struggle with connection. And Florence craves that connection, like you said. Honestly it reminds me of one of the first songs from the Mean Girls musical, and my brain has started somewhat associating it with Florence vs the team when I hear it. So for anyone unfamiliar with that story, to understand the metaphor in the song, you just have to know that the premise is "girl who has been homeschooled in Africa almost her whole life is back in the U.S. and going to high school."

The ending of this song goes like this:

Quote:
I got to fight for the right to belong, to fit in (Somebody doesn't fit in)
They want to be included, like me
So eventually, I'll win (New kid, ignore her!)
I'll win (Just ignore her!)
Do you ever get a feeling,
everybody wants connection
Yes, I know they have their friends, but what is one friend more? (No!)
'Cause I know they know this feeling
So I brush off their rejection
at our core (Just ignore her)
You can't ignore (Just ignore her)
the roar.
And that kinda reminds me of Paige encouraging the team to accept Florence earlier on in the season, and how happy Florence got when Paige said that they were friends. That combination of them both being unable to deny their need to connect to people makes me think they absolutely could have become friends, once Paige got past her insecurities (or at least recognized them enough to understand she needed to get past them).

(Not explicitly plot specific spoilers for Go Down Together, Heidi) I tried to convey some of this - both that they are friends now/that Paige cares, and that Paige is absolutely 100% confident in both her relationship with Walter and in Florence's friendship with him, in the scene where
Spoiler:
This potential is part of why I can't get behind the theory that had the show been renewed, Florence would have had to leave to fully "fix" the team; that just feels too easy to me (though I mean, explore the heck out of it in fanfic if that's what you want to explore, I just hope it wouldn't have happened in the show) and it would sort of argue against the idea that this kind of thing can be worked through - and to me sort of says "just remove the problem and that makes it all better."

But in the case of Scorpion, the problem truly wasn't Florence - the problem was Waige stopped communicating as they should, both of them leaned on their own weaknesses, and if Florence hadn't been the one to inadvertantly drive them apart, someone else would have, eventually. Her catching feels for Walter was just something extra. And until Waige worked through the issues they had together - as well as worked through each of their own issues that complicated that 'together', eliminating the third party was only going to "fix it" until the next third party showed up. And when it comes to the three specific people we're talking about...I think they all had a really good chance of working through things and becoming real friends, no jealousy involved, so I really wish we'd been able to see that.

I did not intend to type this much but I'm very passionate about Florence.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote