View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 07:14 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Happy birthday, Alex

I think normal was good for some people, but it's very evident that it wasn't for a lot of others, and I think if we as a generation can do something to make it better for everyone, then we should try our best to do that. Progress can't happen if nothing ever changes, I guess?
Thanks, Anja!

Well, change is actually the one constant, Anja. Change always happens whether we like it or not. Thing is, when people say they want change, what they really want is a new status quo, and then what happens when more change occurs that affects their status quo? That's when they suddenly and ironically end up on the other side of the equation, you know? We saw this in the social movement of the 1960s, and then by the 1980s and 90s the world was totally different. Now we're going through the same thing again. It always seems like a back and forth. Sure, we should always try to make changes that improve things, but are they ever better for everyone? It always seems like progress is always asymmetrical. People always seem to overcorrect for mistakes of the past, and then we spend years or decades correcting for the overcorrection.

After World War I and the Spanish Influenza pandemic, the USA thought the best way to make the country a better place was to eliminate society's problem: alcohol. That's when the Prohibition Era began and that brought about more problems than it solved; organized crime, illegal bootlegging, the Mafia, etc.. I'm always cautious of reactionary politics. I'm a fan of relevant and practical change. Once it gets ideological, that's when I get red flags.