View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 06:56 PM
Ashes Fall
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
It sounds like a good Angel character piece, which I am here for (though of course, any CA is always the most welcome bonus).
If you want an excellent CA novel recommendation, 'Haunted' by Jeff Mariotte.
It's set in late season 2, post-'Dead End' but pre-Pylea and explores the possibility of Cordelia successfully launching her acting career and leaving the team (It's, of course, a given that she doesn't).
Mariotte is the best of the novel authors, very in tune with the characters, tones, and atmosphere, probably because I heard that he's actually worked for Joss.

Quote:
I can't remember this well, though I do vaguely recall him just expecting her to be happy to give him the visions. Our convos are making me more intrigued to re-watch the arc haha.
Yes. I believe that's accurate which further validates my argument. He didn't consider her feelings at all nor seemed to have a sense of the wrongness of the situation even with the Pylean priests manipulating him.
He was basically a drone. Something Cordy's influence apparently changed since he did seem to be a bit more of an individual in season 3.

Quote:
I think she was dating him. She's kissing him in the car in the opening of the episode. He was also helping her set up for the dance like a boyfriend might.

Quote:
Kevin: I'll get everything tonight after practice. The guys'll help me.
Cordelia: Well, it's all in the A-V room. The sound system, and the
decorations... And, oh, Aura needs help, um, moving the coolers.
Kevin: Don't sweat it!
Cordelia: Well, bring everything to the Bronze, and I'll meet you there
in the morning!
Kevin: Done!
Cordelia: (giggles) You're so sweet! Why're you so sweet?
Kevin: I dunno! 'Cause I'm usually mean as a snake!
She smiles at him.

She also says this in the episode: Cordelia: I was sitting where Kevin and I used to park, and all of a sudden these things are coming at me!

So she and Kevin had 'car dates' more than once.

She found him dead after he didn't show up at the Bronze with the equipment like promised.
Hehe, see how crap my memory is.

Quote:
I don't recall Kevin having a thing for Buffy. He barely had lines/was a character for us to know either way, and I think was only in the one episode?
See above statement.

Quote:
Wasn't her date in 'Out of Mind, Out of Sight' named Mitch? I guess Kevin was Mitch's replacement.
Mitch, I remember from reading it the Cordelia Chronicles novel (basically a novel that compiles 3 Cordy-centric episodes in BtVS, there are 2 that I am aware of or presumably so because the one I have is called "Volume 1").

Marcie had roughed him up to the point of hospitalization and Cordy was more annoyed that his injuries would ruin her homecoming pictures or something. Not her best moment.

Quote:
I also remember her dating Devon in early S2 (also an ass).
I definitely remember Devon (the drummer in Oz's band, Dingos Ate My Baby) because he's the one who stood her up in 'Halloween'.
She didn't deserve that but we gotta give him props for giving us one of the tragic few CA moments in BtVS.

Quote:
Xander, Owen, and Angel are the three I can think of who she expressed interest in but preferred Buffy.

Oh, also Richard, the complete jerk canoe in Reptile Boy. Cordy was flirting with him, and he and his friend had her introduce them to Buffy.
Hey, I remembered one right, Owen hehe and how could I forget Xander? Though Xander is more half and half. Yes, he preferred Buffy but at least at some point and on a certain level I can believe he did care about Cordelia. I mean they were together long enough.

Whereas Owen and Angel wouldn't give her the time of day and from what you said Richard actually used her to get to Buffy.

I've said it so many times, I need a full season 1-3 BtVS rewatch but fear I couldn't get through BA with my sanity intact.
Perhaps I can just target the episodes we bring up here such as 'Reptile Boy' and 'When She Was Bad'.

Quote:
I'm not sure I read either of those fics . I need to amend that quickly. Those sound like quality reads and I like both those authors' other work.
Both are on my rec list here:
https://thewolfsmoon.livejournal.com/30566.html

Quote:
Interesting point. I never put that together before.

After the Jasmine ****ery in S4...now I have to wonder if it even was a vision from the Powers, or some of Illyria's worshipers making it happen. Unless TPTB wanted Fred to become Illyria?
Well, I don't know about Illyria but we're told by Skip in 'Inside Out' that every major event in the series was designed to lead up to Jasmine from Cordy inheriting the visions to Connor's birth and kidnapping. Perhaps even Angel's move to L.A though that isn't among the events specifically mentioned.

I've explained before why I believe this is bull**** but you make a compelling point that the anomaly of that Fred vision does beg the question of if there was some form of manipulation in it.
It was quite convenient that that vision hit when Lorne had come to AI with the Drakken (sp?) problem which originated in Pylea. The Powers are NEVER so accomodating.

That reminds me, we get another unusual vision experience in 'Dead End' when Angel has Cordelia intentionally conjure a vision a second time and is able to actually explore the setting and zoom in on certain details. Remember this was pre-'Birthday' and we never see Doyle do that.

So many loose ends.

Quote:
The Powers get more and more useless the more I watch this show.
Lol, word. That's another popular fic trope, Cordy griping about how vague and useless the PTB are.

Quote:
That was in When She Was Bad (the S2 pilot).

It was when she was confronting Buffy about her treatment of Xander and Willow.

Quote:
Buffy: I think it's about time you start minding your own business.
Cordelia: It's long past.
Buffy: (turns and goes) Nighty-night. (flips up her hood)
Cordelia: I'll just see if Angel feels like dancing.

Sadly, we'll never know if Cordy actually was going to ask him to dance, or was just saying that...or if Angel would've said yes or not, bc Cor was immediately kidnapped before she could go back into The Bronze.
Boo!

I could see Angel giving her an uncomfortable "Uh--I don't dance" but could she have convinced him at this point as she could have in AtS? If so, would she have regretted it after seeing him dance?

Quote:
We still on for an ATS viewing party tonight? You can reach me here or on Discord if you need to.
We're so on! This conversation is getting me excited for the Pylea arc.

they win"
- Stephen King