View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
It’s interesting what character Kerr Smith played on Riverdale.
What character did he play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Seems a lot of politics went on behind the scenes. Smith had a right to be pissed if Williamson didn’t tell him until later. Especially back then when playing gay characters was infrequent. Glad that has changed in the present but back then it wasn’t the norm so I could see why Smith was initially upset because he didn’t know.

I remember watching live and simply being ticked Jack was on my screen but not Andie. In my mind, they came as a package, they were siblings... Jack didn’t need a sister in Jen since he already had a sister named Andie! That’s how I felt. I just never loved that Andie left the screen while Jack remained. Jack was the ‘safe’ gay guy character who would distract Jen but Andie had to go because Pacey/Andie needed destroyed in order to prop Pacey/Joey. Plus, everyone knew having Meredith as Andie around for multiple reasons threatened Katie/Joey... threatened Katie as an actress, threatened the character in Joey since Andie had ten times the heart, threatened the pairing of Pacey/Joey since Pacey/Andie was Pacey’s best relationship.

This disgusted me while it played out live and I didn’t even truly understand just how bad the politics were back then like I do now.
I think that you're both correct that Andie was destroyed so she couldn't outshine Joey. I hated Season Two because of what they did to Dawson and Joey as soon as they put them together, but I loved Pacey and Andie in that season, and I hated what was done to her.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy