View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 05:09 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)
To me the only time Jack was not boring was when he was Dawson's rival for Joey. When they made him gay and had him just be around to keep Jen occupied, I agree. Jack served no purpose.

Kerr Smith when informed he was going to become gay was furious. He was never told that he was eventually play a gay character. Maybe when KW signed Meredith and Kerr for season two he had no idea what he was eventually do that to the character Jack. As I have stated on here several times making Jack gay was the beginning of the end for the series.

Let's face it; from season three on the series became Joey's Creek. Hell in seasons five and six even Pacey served little or no purpose. In fact they could have dumped the character and have Joey dominate and screw with the head of some super rich, very smart quarterback of the football team. Of course Joey would be morally and intellectually superior.
It’s interesting what character Kerr Smith played on Riverdale.

Seems a lot of politics went on behind the scenes. Smith had a right to be pissed if Williamson didn’t tell him until later. Especially back then when playing gay characters was infrequent. Glad that has changed in the present but back then it wasn’t the norm so I could see why Smith was initially upset because he didn’t know.

I remember watching live and simply being ticked Jack was on my screen but not Andie. In my mind, they came as a package, they were siblings... Jack didn’t need a sister in Jen since he already had a sister named Andie! That’s how I felt. I just never loved that Andie left the screen while Jack remained. Jack was the ‘safe’ gay guy character who would distract Jen but Andie had to go because Pacey/Andie needed destroyed in order to prop Pacey/Joey. Plus, everyone knew having Meredith as Andie around for multiple reasons threatened Katie/Joey... threatened Katie as an actress, threatened the character in Joey since Andie had ten times the heart, threatened the pairing of Pacey/Joey since Pacey/Andie was Pacey’s best relationship.

This disgusted me while it played out live and I didn’t even truly understand just how bad the politics were back then like I do now.