View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 09:33 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I honestly don't know. I haven't lived in New Jersey for many years. In my lifetime, there have been Democratic Presidents and Republican Presidents, but for many years, the candidates that would end up getting elected were rather moderate. For example, in the first debate between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, Nixon started out by saying "The things that Senator Kennedy has said, many of us can agree with," and, indeed, they held many of the same views. and through that debate, they showed a great deal of respect to each other, even though they were running against each other. If you compare that debate with the debates between the Democrats this year and between Trump and the other Republican Candidates in 2016, or between Trump and Hillary Clinton in 2016, it's like night and day. Richard Nixon would be considered too liberal by the current Republican Party, and John F. Kennedy would be considered too conservative by the current Democratic Party, and now the Democrats and the Republicans in Congress do all they can to oppose any policy that the opposition party President puts forward. All vestiges of civility and doing what's right have disappeared, and everyone is out for their own interests.
Well said, Jerry.

Do you think eventually the parties will disappear and maybe there will be a blending of parties? Will that even happen?

Look at what Lili and the other person is talking about... I cannot believe Trump. Well, yes I can but seriously, what is wrong with him?