View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 03:55 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

David | Juan #17: "I've been in pain, Cesare, for all my years. And, you... you are in pain, Brother. I can feel it."

Welcome to the 17th David | Juan appreciation thread
"I've been in pain, Cesare, for all my years. And, you... you are in pain, Brother. I can feel it."

Supporters
1. Clockwork Angel
2. claire_bear2007
3. ~Phoenix~
4. sanna_o75
5. Chrissalaugha
6. Sweet Charity
7. sprezzatura
8. Nikki K
9. BL.Arinna_1982
10: Butterflygirl
11. Roon
12. DGSAFDMD
13. Lucresiare
14. cheekymonkey503
15. deathly_smirk
16. sourburst
17. Crystal Clear
18. Mignonette

x

Juan Borgia

Juan Borgia, 2nd duke of Gandía, was the son of Pope Alexander VI the second of the Pope's four children by Vanozza Cattanei. He born in Rome in 1476. He was made 2nd Duke of Gandia, Duke of Sessa, Grand Constable of Naples, Governor of St. Peter's, and Gonfalonier and Captain General of the Church and married Maria Enriquez de Luna, the Spanish betrothed of his deceased older half-brother, Pedro Luis, in September 1493. They had two children: Juan de Borja y Enriquez (known as Juan Borgia), who became the 3rd duke of Gandía, and Francisca de Jesus Borja, who became a nun at a convent in Valladolid. Juan is also the grandfather of Saint Francis Borgia.

On Borgia Maria Enriquez was portrayed by Colombian actress Monica Lopera.

He was murdered the night of 14 June 1497 near what later became the Piazza della Giudecca in the Ghetto of Rome. It has been speculated that either his brother Cesare or Joffre Borgia had him murdered, the former because of his ambitions to lead the papal armies in his stead, the latter because it was rumoured that Juan had an affair with his wife Sancia d'Aragón. Other suspects included the Orsini to whose estates Juan attacked in order to reclaim the fiefs for the pope and eventually himself. Juan's richly attired body was recovered from the Tiber River with 30 golden ducats untouched in the purse at his belt. To the immense grief of the pope, this act occasioned the heartless epigram by Sannazzaro on the pope as "fisher of men". Borgia's only attendant was also slain, so there were no known witnesses. Later when his brother Cesare was imprisoned in Spain, his wife Maria Enriquez tried to have him put on trial for Juan's murder.

Juan also is an essential part of many novels about the family and was portrayed in many movies and television series based on the Borgia's rise and fall. For instance most recently:

The Borgias (TV, 2011) played by David Oakes
Borgia (TV, 2011) played by Stanley Weber
Los Borgia (Movie, 2006) played by Sergio Muñiz
The Borgias (TV, 1981) played by George Camiller

David Oakes

David Oakes (born in 1983 in Fordingbridge, Hampshire) is an English film, television and theatre actor. He was head boy at Bishop Wordsworth's School, in Salisbury, Wiltshire, where he was also heavily involved with the Salisbury Playhouse and their youth theatre, Stage 65. He graduated with a first in English Literature from the University of Manchester. From 2005 to 2007, Oakes attended the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. In 2008 he was part of a BBC 4 radio play A Dance to the Music of the Time where he spoke the part of "Charles Stringham". Between 2008 and 2011 he was part of several stage and television production. For instance, he played the villainous "William Hamleigh" in the television miniseries The Pillars of the Earth (2010), produced by Ridley Scott. In 2011 he was cast as "Juan Borgia" in the television Showtime series The Borgias. He was cast in the role of "Justin" for the movie Truth or Dare? which will be released in 2012.

x

x

Filmography

- Bonekickers (Alfred Lord Tennyson) / 2008
- Walter's War (Private Oswald Hennessey) 2008
- Henry VIII: Mind of a Tyrant (George Cavendish) 2009
- Trinity (Ross Bonham) / 2009
- The Pillars of the Earth (William Hamleigh) / 2010
- The Borgias (Juan Borgia) / 2011
- World Without End (Bishop Henri) / 2012
- Truth Or Dare (Justin) / 2012
- Who Shall I Play With Now? (Gregory) / 2012
- Ripper Street (Victor Silver) / 2013
- The White Queen (George, Duke of Clarence) / 2013
- The Living and The Dead (Wllliam Payne) / 2016
- Victoria (Prince Ernest) / 2016-17

x

Stage

- 2013: Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen as Mr. Darcy (Open Air Theatre, Regents Park, London)
- 2011: Three Farces ("Slasher and Crasher", "A Most Unwarrantable Intrusion" and "Grimshaw, Bagshaw and Bradshaw") by John Maddison Morton as Samson Slasher and John Bagshaw (Orange Tree Theatre, London)
- 2009: All The Little Things We Crushed (World Premiere) by Joel Horwood as Hugh (Almeida Theatre, London)
- 2008: Mary Stuart by Friedrich Schiller as Mortimer (Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh)
- 2008: Journey's End by R. C. Sherriff as Raleigh (Mercury Theatre, Colchester)
- 2008: Old Vic New Voices: The Twenty-four Hour Plays as Davide (Old Vic Theatre)
- 2007: We the People (World Premiere) by Eric Schlosser as Charles Pinckney and Gunning Bedford Jnr (Shakespeare's Globe)
- 2007: Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare as Dumaine (Shakespeare's Globe & International Tour)

x

x

Source: http://****yeahborgia.tumblr.com/

Past Threads
{1} {2} {3} {4} {5} {6} {7} {8} {9} {10} {11} {12} {13} {14} {15} {16}

x