View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM
straws
Absolute Fan

Quote:
This collection contains stories set in season 1 as well that also explores the aftermath of Doyle's death including its effect on his ex-wife Harry.
There is also one story set in the time between Doyle's death and Wesley's entrance though it's a bit more of a Cordy solo as it follows her experience in a reality show she landed a spot in.

I ended up getting a deal on it at a used bookstore but it would have been well worth the full price as it's a fantastic collection. I wish we'd seen its content in the show.
The volume seemed like a collection of stories from various timelines. I think it did start in SD and it also had some Darla flashbacks.

It also said something about being in print for the first time in 10 years.

Description from Amazon:

Quote:
Officially picking up where the beloved Angel television series left off, this volume is the first of a collection of every printed Angel comic book, including hard to find and out of print stories.
So it's possible it's a reprint of Angel Omnibus or contains the stuff from Angel Omnibus. I wonder which one is the better purchase.

Quote:
Meh. He was still something of a wreck after YW and the whole Jasmine 2.0 experience with Fred/Illyria didn't help.
- He willingly handed a newborn to a demon cult. I can vividly picture Cordy's disapproving look from the higher plane.
- He managed to do worse than his beige period when he intentionally betrayed the team, his family AGAIN for the purpose of a dangerous undercover mission. *Again, disapproving Cordy look (remember how she chewed him out for the Connor memory wipe)*
- Don't even get me started on TGIQ.
- NFA was more or less a suicide mission. EVERYONE except perhaps Lorne until he had to shoot Linsey had hit rock bottom and lost all reason to live.
I maintain that it was ATS when she'd legit restored his motivation.
IA. Sadly it very much felt to me like Angel went on a suicide mission after he lost Cordy cause he'd completely given up. He stopped fighting the good fight to hurt the bad guys with a grand gesture. It was very against the lesson he learned in S2.

I love a lot of NFA and the final moments of it but I don't like how the show got there.

Quote:
If it hadn't been established that the kiss had to have genuine love behind it, I'd say that reveal made a joke of that beautiful YW kiss and I can hear Joss hypothetically laughing. It would have been just like him to pull some **** like that.
I'm glad the love behind that kiss wasn't lost.
I know what you mean. On one hand I love that we got a sneak attack Cangel kiss flashback and that Cordy was the one motivating Angel for that big fight when he finally broke away from W&H. Which would be all well and good if it wasn't a suicide mission and Angel didn't commit true evil to get it done. (I can't remember the name of the guy Angel kills but I basically have to head canon that the guy was in on the plan and gave his permission because otherwise wtf Angel, wtf?) I also can't see Cordy approving of what he did? That can't be what she gave him the visions for?

A part of me did also like seeing a Cordy clip in the penultimate episode (giving her a part in the grand send off) bc Joss had been trying so hard not to acknowledge her and CA's existence all season.

Everyone craps on S1 and I know it has it's issues and growing pains but I love that season so much. I love the potential the show had during that period and who Angel was then (not to mention, Cordy being alive! With no Jasmine plot line in sight!) We very much have lost that Angel by S5.

Quote:
So, first I've got to say that I didn't really appreciate S5, the first part (til YW) was boring but the second part after YW was more dynamic and interesting.
I don't care much for S5 as a whole but IA that the second half is better. I also really like Illyria.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com